Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vassi44 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2006, 12:04 PM
    J1 strange refund??
    I was a exchange visitors-internship-with J1.
    I filed the form 1040NR EZ.My income for one year was about 12300. :(
    And by the form I supposed to receive refund about 260, but colegues received about 800?? What did I do wrong??
    I thought that as J1 internship I shouldn't pay too much taxes??
    Should I contact IRS about that??
    I appreciate any help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Your friend may have had more money withheld from hs tax return.

Compare the tax liability (Line #15 of Form 1040NR-EZ).

May 3, 2006, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Your friend may have had more money withheld from hs tax return.

Compare the tax liability (Line #15 of Form 1040NR-EZ).

:mad:
    Tere is 1004.00
    I don't get it:confused: by the Tax table??
    Senior Tax Expert

May 3, 2006, 09:33 AM
    What country are you from, and is your friend from the same country?

May 3, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    What country are you from, and is your friend from the same country?
    My friend is from Bulgaria,same as me.
    howards girl Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2006, 01:49 PM
    1st thing I would do is contact the tax preofessional who prepared your return to re-review. If you prepared it yourself, perhaps it was an error. Ez returns are made to facilitate the return process, if you followed the instructions yours should be correct. Keep in mind that your deductions may not have been enough to equate a large return. Keep in mind You may have received more funds than your friend. Be aware that if you contact the IRS they will just read to you what shows on the screen.. If it is such a problem write a letter requesting a review of your return , be aware you may be opining a big can of worms.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 3, 2006, 08:36 PM
    I can find no reference to Bulgaria in IRS Pub 901, so I must assume there is no treaty exemption.

That means you must itemize (no standard deduction allowed). Your friend may have:

- had more federal income tax withheld from his pay, resulting in a larger refund.

- had more state income tax withheld from his pay, resulting in a larger itemized deduction.

- given more money to charity, resulting in a larger itemized deduction.

- had employee business expenses, resulting in a larger itemized deduction.

And that's only SOME of the possibilities. Without comparing the two returns side-by-side, it's really impossible to tell you why he got a higher refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Refund Error - help please [ 2 Answers ]

I was living outside of the US for part of the last tax year; I filed an extension. On Friday my refund was direct deposited into my checking account. I was supposed to get $1850.00, instead I got $18.50. I've tried to get ahold of the IRS, US Treasury, my bank, everyone I can think of; I've had...

SS and Medicare refund [ 1 Answers ]

Since my employer took out SS and Medicare while I was on my OPT (until we found out he can't do that) I filed for a refund in January. I haven't heard back form the IRS yet. How lond does this usually take? I'm getting ready to move back home to Austria, so I was wondering if there is a way of...

Deposit Refund [ 5 Answers ]

Landlords, How do you normally handle your deposit refund to tenant? Ask them to leave a forwarding address and mail it to them? If so, how long do you wait to mail it to them? Do you have a standard amount you usually deduct for cleaning of the apartment if they left it gross/ dirty? He left...

Customer Wants refund [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Legal Question, here goes I have a small company that I run in my spare time, Computer work. But anyway, I have sold a complete system to a customer and after a week he wants his money back, a typical non written rule 3-day money back, but that is not written anywhere, in the...

SS/Medicare Refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been working on F1 - OPT for the past 9 months. Though I told my employer that I am not required to pay SS/ Medicare they are being deducted from my pay. What is the procedure to get the SS/medicare taxes back when I file the taxes for this year. Thank you

View more questions Search