Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 31, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Workmans comp injury
    Hello,

Just for general knowledge: there are 3 parties involved. The contractor/builder of the house , the trim guys (us) and the isulation installers
    I recently had some of my employees install a drop down stairs in a ceiling.
    It was correctly installed. Later that same day another worker (from what I was told) tripped in the attic heading toward the stairs. He fell out of the attic and onto the stairway getting his ankle caught between the treads. Obiviously he broke his ankle and is wanting money.

The contractor delivered another stairs that day and we installed it, and through the other away. Its been almost a year, and to my knowledge there were never any pictures taken of the job or the damaged stairway.

My question is I know you can sue whomever for whatever , but am I at fault.

Later that day I spoke to the forum on that job. He said this guy has been hurt 3 other times before this last time.

I install sometimes 5 to 6 of these a month for the last few years and have never had this situation arise.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    Hello,
    I recently had some of my employees install a drop down stairs in a ceiling.
    It was correctly installed. Later that same day another worker (from what i was told) tripped in the attic heading toward the stairs. He fell out of the attic and onto the stairway getting his ankle caught between the treads. Obiviously he broke his ankle and is wanting money.

The contractor delivered another stairs that day and we installed it, and through the other away. Its been almost a year, and to my knowledge there were never any pictures taken of the job or the damaged stairway.

My question is I know you can sue whomever for whatever , but am I at fault.

Later that day I spoke to the forum on that job. He said this guy has been hurt 3 other times before this last time.

I install sometimes 5 to 6 of these a month for the last few years and have never had this situation arise.

any comments are welcome. thanks

He - obviously - collects workers' comp. Your comp carrier may choose to sue someone else for their out of pocket.

Yes, if he worked for you you are responsible for keeping the workplace safe.

And the homeowner can also be sued for the same reason - unsafe work place.

There is always the possibility of a third party claim if someone else was negligent.

I'm not saying it's fair, I'm just saying that's how it works.

The fact that he's been hurt before does not matter - if he's accident prone, he's accident prone and should not suffer for it.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 31, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Thanks for the info.

Just to clairify if it matters.

There are three involved. The builder / contractor
    The trim guys (us)
    The insulation installers
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    thanks for the info.

just to clairify if it matters.

There are three involved. The builder / contractor
    The trim guys (us)
    The insulation installers

If the house is sold, not a spec house, there are four parties - and, yes, any or all of you could get sued if it goes that far. I'm not saying anyone would win - I'm saying it's the shotgun approach - shoot at everybody.

At the moment it will be a Workers Comp claim and your insurance carrier will decide whether it wants to sue to get its money back OR that the injured person will retain an Attorney who will look into third party lawsuits. That gets very tricky when it's Workers Comp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workmans Comp and Resigning. [ 1 Answers ]

I was injured on the job over a month ago.. Company sent me to their doctors, and originally thought it was a sprain in my lumbar.. I have NEVER had back problems before. Doctors put me on light duty and my company could not provide me the work in my area. I have only been with the company 2...

Working while on Workmans Comp [ 6 Answers ]

Are you allowed to work for somebody else while you are on WC and not working for your current employer?

Accident , Workmans comp. [ 8 Answers ]

I was injured at work. A box truck hit me on the site. The company has claimed resposeability of the driver. It is treated as a vechicle accident. I have a LLC and no workman's comp. Should the company the driver worked for be liable ,for my workman comp ,or the company I worked for? I am self...

Workmans comp insurance! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I hurt my back at work a month ago, when I saw my primary Doctor he told me that he couldn't help me because it was job related. I am now on workmans comp, placed on light duty, and wasn't given much time off at home to heal I am currently on medications and taking physical therapy. I...

Workmans comp- unemployment [ 2 Answers ]

Ill. Hello this is going to be a long ? So please bare with me. Thank you mar 13 slipped on freezer floor after someone mopped it out and I was unaware. Filling out paper work to go dr. and in walks boss and fires me for unrelated situation. Boss said if I resigned they would not contest...

View more questions Search