Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cancer Tenant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Cancer Patient Tenant
    Hello I have a question with no one to help me. I have been leaving a rental apt for 1 1/2 yrs and I am living with my father who is a co-tenant. Well this past month the dr's told my father that he as terminal cancer and that he would only live approx 3 to 6 months tops. I oofered my landlord that I would stay another 2 months my question is can I break a lease that's is more than half way through with no penalty since it's a health cond of my father. I can't really afford to stay. I live in fort lauderdale Florida. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cancer Tenant
    Hello i have a question with no one to help me. i have been leaving a rental apt for 1 1/2 yrs and i am living with my father who is a co-tenant. well this past month the dr's told my father that he as terminal cancer and that he would only live approx 3 to 6 months tops. i oofered my landlord that i would stay another 2 months my question is can i break a lease thats is more than half way thru with no penalty since its a health cond of my father. i can't really afford to stay. i live in fort lauderdale florida. thanks

Who is on the lease? Both of you? One of you? You can TRY to break the lease, TRY to negotiate, but unless the landlord wants to cooperate, you are either the person who signed the contract or the co-signer and you are responsible for the rent.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Judy is right. You need to explain to us if co-tenant actually means you both signed the lease. If so, you are still committed for the duration of the lease all on your own. Your dad may live longer or short, nobody knows for sure so there is still time for him to make arrangements. Is there a will, what does it say about you?
    Cancer Tenant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 11:37 PM
    Yes we are both on the lease and have try in good faith to negotiate with landlord but no luck :( . He does not have a will since he as been a man to have enjoyed life pretty dfam good.. I undersand that just about all leases have loop holes where I can actually try to make the landlord break my lease with out losing my dep. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cancer Tenant
    yes we are both on the lease and have try in good faith to negotiate with landlord but no luck :( . he does not have a will since he as been a man to have enjoyed life pretty dfam good.. i undersand that just about all leases have loop holes where i can actually try to make the landlord break my lease with out loosing my dep. thanks

Florida is tough - in Florida the landlord doesn't have to make an effort to replace a tenant. He/she can simply ride out the lease and charge the (former) tenant for the whole lease period.

I think you have to try to negotiate again - maybe he'll allow you to sublet. Maybe take a letter from the Physician.

You have so much going on right now and I wish I had a better answer - but I don't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keep being patient? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 11 months now. He was hurt very badly by his ex. He also is not a very affectionate man. Except when we are being intimate. My question is, he says that he is still "picking up the pieces". I knew in the beginning that I needed to be patient with him,...

Patient assessments [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a rural hospital. We have a five cubical bed progressive care unit. When we do assessments in this unit we will take one patient at a time or do other patients in another room across the hall. Recently our manager is trying for us to do lab, x-ray, and EKG along with the assessment...

My rights as a patient? [ 13 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right topic to post under but here it goes. I was having a about of kidney stones I went to the emergency room and was assigned a urologist. I saw him and he set up an appoinment at the hospital to do a procedure to break up the stone (lipotripcy sp? ) and to put in a...

Should I give up or patient! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been with this girl for 1.5 years. We did really have good and bad times. But her issues is that she is super jealous. I suggested her to take a break and let things cool down. She went insane. But we still talked and hung out. She still kept saying that she loved me and stuff but...

Patient Rights - The Right to Know [ 3 Answers ]

I found out 10 days after an ER visit, that a nurse made an error and gave me a 2nd dose of 3 IV meds 25 minutes after a different nurse gave them. No one ever told me or the family member that came to pick me up. I "stumbled" upon the information by reading my medical records because I was still...

View more questions Search