Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zimbo Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Puppy eats everything on trips outside
    My 8 week old puppy eats everything of interest when she's outside on a leash. I mean everything. Leaves, grass, weeds, mulch, stones from the driveway, etc. What to do? She's in a harness and about the only way to prevent her from eating all this stuff is to hold the leash tightly so she can't put her head down all the way. Would a muzzle work? Is there some sort of behavior deterrent that can be used?
    I had hoped to build a dog run but at this point she's not able to be outside and unsupervised.

Thanks!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Hi, Zimbo,
    Your puppy sounds normal! Some will try eating anything, so curious at this age.
    Be persistent at holding her head up when you walk her. DON'T let her walk in front or behind you. Keep her at your side, with your hands on the leash, so you pull her head up when she starts to eat something. She will get the idea, sooner or later. Be consistent with this, and in no time, she will stop trying to eat everything in sight.
    Here is some information you might be interesed in:
    As a new puppy owner, I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    Cesar Millan Center
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

I do wish you and she the best, and congratulations on having a puppy! They are wonderful.
    howards girl Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Here are 3 solutions, since I have raised many dogs these always work.

1) Provide plenty of toys of varying texture, rotate them as they will get bored.

2) Walk dog on a gentle leader. The (collar) goes around the dogs muzzle and you lead the dog as her mom would. Her nose will always be up. This is not a muzzle

3) as a last resort a muzzle.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 04:17 AM
    Hi, Zimbo,
    Sorry I didn't suggest toys, but your question was about walking the dog, keeping it from eating everything he got in his mouth.
    Toys are great! I have a whole bag full of them in the house. They are the best thing in the world to get the puppy use to playing with. It will then leave the furniture alone, hopefully leave electric wiring alone, too!
    Zimbo Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2006, 05:03 AM
    Yes fredg, walking the dog is the issue! My veterinarian suggested bringing toys on the walk around the yard to occupy the puppies attention when it shifts to eating bad things. So far there's been a bit of success doing this, the best was 3 tennis balls that I kept rolling past her. That kept her busy for a long stretch. So I'll keep trying that method and if it loses it's ability to keep her occupied then on to the gentle leader.
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Great!!
    That is a really good idea.
    Mandy Girl Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jun 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
    When ever she goes to eat walk away from that spot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is too thin and eats very little [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I have 4 dogs, 2 of which are Jindo's brother & sister(15 months old). Lucy got off her leash last Monday and by the grace of god found her way back home 2 days later, which I think explains the 5 lbs drop in her weight to 30 lbs. The problem is, at her original weight of 35lbs she was too...

Help! My Puppy Eats Her Own Teeth [ 3 Answers ]

My smooth fox terrier mix is eating her teeth!! Help help help :eek: She just started teething about almost a month ago now... And I asked my friends for help and they said it "could" be a good thing.. Because teeth is a bone bone has calcium and so on... But I'm getting really worried.. ...

My Computer trips a 20 amp breaker... [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 500 watt power supply on my computer, and every time I turn it on in the room that I want to keep it in, the breaker goes. Is this normal? I plug the computer into other outlets on other breakers in other parts of my apartment with no problem, but in the 2 bedrooms that the breaker...

Breaker Trips [ 3 Answers ]

My furance Circuit breaker The main from the house input has stated to trip. It has happened twice this past weekend? Any ideas?

GFI trips when fliping switch [ 5 Answers ]

I have an outdoor fountain with a pump that is pluged into a new outlet next to the pump. I connected that outlet to an outdoor switch on the porch so I can turn the punp on and off without going to the fountain. I taped into an existing outdoor outlet on the porch and put the switch next to...

View more questions Search