Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    depressedhelp Posts: 91, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Vegitarianism: Why Won't They Let Me?
    Okay, so here's the thing. I've wanted to be a Vegetarian, Since around the fourth grade?
    I mean, for many multiple reason.
    [I won't mention them, for some people will argue about those reasons.]
    But anyway.
    I asked my parents. A while back.
    All they could argue on is, "Your too young, and you won't get enough protein."
    Well, they really don't understand that there are other ways to get that protein.
    I don't understand what's running through their minds, but.
    You do have ANY advise on how to convince them that Yes, I can stay healthy.
    And yes, I will get enough protein.
    Anything will be much appreciated.
    Thanks In a Advance.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 05:30 PM
    How old are you now?

Aug 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 05:35 PM
    You are way too young to be a vegitarian. Not only are you missing protein, but iron. If you are a girl, iron is important in your diet.

Aug 30, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Okay, honestly. Why does age have anything to do with it?
    Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Because you are still growing, your bones are still maturing. You need these elements to grow, for your body, organs and brain to grow.

Aug 30, 2008, 05:41 PM
    But there are other ways you can get those elements for growth.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 06:34 PM
    I have to agree with J9.

At 13 you still need all those essential proteins in order to grow properly. I'm not saying being a vegetarian is a bad thing, but you would be depriving your young body of much needed nutrients.

Wait until you're done growing, at that time your body will be ready and your parents will no longer have a say in what you eat.
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

Aug 31, 2008, 01:11 AM
    Ok, so I think this is an interesting topic and wanted to really find out about the validity of the "You're too young to be a vegetarian" argument.

Basically I found that, like losing weight, becoming a pro-athlete or mastering a musical instrument... becoming a vegetarian will be somewhat of a lifestyle change, in that it can't be done over night.

It's a lifestyle change because you can't just take meat out of your diet and consider that a healthy vegetarian diet, it needs to be a gradual process of substitutions as well as eliminations and alternatives.

Also, if your family isn't committed or supportive of this change you will have to face this alone. Meaning meal planning and grocery shopping for your meals will be Your task (which may make it tougher to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet: without true parental support).

My advice is not based on age being a deciding factor against your position since that is disputable, the real issue is that you want support form your parents and You Will Need It (since you are a minor and can not provide for yourself and they are responsible for you).

So, the best thing you can do is to learn. Learn everything you can about being a vegetarian... become "an expert" and then go to your parents with solid information that proves that your new diet can be healthy even for a person your age. For every argument they have find the healthy vegetarian alternative/solution. As you probably know already it's not enough to just say: "I don't like the idea of eating dead animals" <I'm not saying this is your argument but you get the point!>

Here's a website that explains more:
    Vegetarian Advice: Pre-Teen Needs a Diet Plan To Go Vegetarian

Even with new very convincing and solid information they may not budge but if you are truly committed to this you can use this information later ((when you are old enough to provide food for yourself)).
    Therefore making yourself a healthy vegetarian and not just someone who says they're vegetarian because they "don't eat meat"
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Maybe if you give them a basic well thought out meal plan idea that proves to be healthier than eating meat then they might consider it.

Like being a true vegetarian you would be cutting out eggs, milk, cheese, butters and some oils, fish, meat
    which is cutting out things like B12, choline, calcium, essential fatty acids as well as protein

so you make a list for breakfast alternatives, lunch alternatives, dinner alternatives,
    Include proof like xx amount of peanut butter = xx amount of meat in protein.

You need to include things like whole grains, legumes, nuts, peanut butter, omega fatty acids,

Also your mother may be saying no because then she would have to buy and make special meals which is time and money to her.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 01:26 PM
    I am all for people being vegetarians as long as they get the proper nutritional balance. I went vegetarian for awhile, and I found out it takes a lot of planning and shopping. Counting grams of protein is a must. I may even remember that an 8oz glass of skim milk has 8 grams of protein. Then, there are beans, bread has some protein, and so on. I don't know how many grams of protein a teenager would need a day... just guessing, 50 grams or more.

I think it would be too much trouble for your mother to have to plan two kinds of meals a day. She may have better things to do with her life at this point, I don't know.
    kolkay Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Hey, so I wanted to become a vegetarian when I was around your age, and my parents had the same reaction. I did my research, made a list of pros and cons, and my parents understood how serious I was at it. There are a lot of health benefits to it. Just do some research and show how serious you are. Hopefully they will understand. And as far as meals go, my parents wouldn't make two meals, so I made my own. Just showed how committed I was.
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Sep 9, 2008, 12:59 PM
    I was born a vegetarian.

A lot of vegetables and fruits have essential proteins as meat products.

If you want to start vegetarian diet/lifestyle, eat tofu, soy products, nuts (cashew, peanuts etc.), peanut butter, soy milk, cheese, and so forth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

Carrier Heater won't shut off! Blows only cool air. Heat won't work! [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do? My carrier heater is only 2 years old. As of yesterday the heater unit wouldn't shut off and when I turn the heat up it just keeps blowing cool air. I heard I can trip a breaker switch. Is that the electrical switch in the garage or on the heater itself? Please let...

My furnace won't light and the lights on my control module won't come on [ 2 Answers ]

Ok a couple of question if you can help I have a comfortmaker furnace I believe 1999 it came on a couple of times after I bought a new transformer, board, capacitator, and ignition control module now it won't come back on What to Do! Also I wanted to know if you can tell me the difference between...

New puppy won't stop breathing weird. Won't poop either. [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy yesterday afternoon. He's 8 weeks old, and came from a farm. We brought him home, and the whole time he was breathing weird, like he's grunting. He slept throughout the night OK, but when I got up and took him outside, he peed but was whimpering the whole time. (I think that...

Kenmore he4 panel won't work and dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have had the circuit board/panel replaced once on my he4. I had only 2 weeks left on the warranty and figured it should be OK once it was fixed. They wanted another $200 to renew the warranty! Didn't have the $$ at the time. Anyway, the same darn thing is happening... you have to push the buttons...

View more questions Search