Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shuggydoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 10:14 AM
    In credit card debt.should I.consolidate?negotiate?eliminate? What is the BEST?
    I am recently divorced and have credit card debts of about $45k. I cannot afford my credit card payments but everything is current by putting myself deeper into debt. It is a cycle I need to STOP! What is the BEST option for me. Online you find debt elimination companies, debt consolidation companies, debt negotiators, etc. I don't want to ruin my credit cause it's still in tact. What do you suggest?

My spending is under control it is mostly my ex wife's credit cards from my divorce.

Thank you!

Shuggydoo:)
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2008, 11:05 AM
    You are asking for an answer that can't be given.

If you truly can't afford the payments, then there is no way to protect your credit, it is going to suffer no matter how you settle this debt.

You have to be behind before any of the debt elimination services can really be of any help.

The credit card companies will not accept settlement on your debt until it has been charged off. This means months of negative reporting as your delinquency ages and then
    The accounts, if settled, will be marked as such.

You could try a credit counseling service, but if you really don't have the funds to make payment arrangements, it will not be of much help.

If you are getting money from one card to pay the other, you must stop that immediately and face the problem head on. It won't be fun, and will probably take up to 5-7 years to get it back to the condition you are in now, but the more you delay and dig the hole deeper, the longer you will suffer the consequences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Negotiate Credit Card Settlement ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have 4 credit cards totaling $ 4800. It is so hard to keep up with payments because I am paying the minimums because its all I can afford. Also, all the cards are just about maxed out, they change due dates, I get late, they added late fees which trigger over the limit fees. I...

Best way to negotiate rates w/ credit card companies? [ 4 Answers ]

A family member is loaning me $20K to pay off part of my $33K credit card debt. The loan will enable me to pay off the balances in full on two of the highest-interest rate cards, and part of the next highest-rate card. I'd love to just call the bastards up & close the accounts as soon as the...

View more questions Search