Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Laptop screen on my TV screen?
    Hi there I have a laptop that has an HDMI connection, my LCD TV also has an HDMI connection. If I connect the 2 together can I use my TV as my screen?
    ebfisher3 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 09:07 AM
    You should have no problem with this, but you will find the cables to be short (< 4') and expensive. If you don't have them in hardcopy, you should be able to download manuals for your LCD TV from the manufacturer and most will list explicit instructions of how to do this.

The PC side of this equation is Control Panel - Display - Settings tab. You should see 2 screens (2 should be your LCD TV). Extend your desktop to the second screen and have fun.

Aug 30, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Wat do u mean find them short and why do I need the manual for the TV? Thanks.
    ebfisher3 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Most of the cables are only long enough for the TV wo be used as a monitor within a few feet of your PC. If you want to have the TV more than a few feet away as I do, they are too short.

The manual for the TV is in case you need to make a configuration change to get it to work with your PC and/or to supply you with the recommended screen resolution and Hz settings (made on you PC). It may also point you to a web location to download drivers for you to load onto your PC that will provide a better viewing experience on the specific LCD TV you are attaching to.

Aug 30, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Thanks very much for all your help. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2008, 10:44 AM
    That depends on whether your laptop's HDMI port is an output or input. If its an input then no, but if its an output then yes. But, as mentioned, HDMI cables tend to be short so the laptop will need to be near the TV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power to screen on laptop [ 2 Answers ]

Bought a dell inspiron 5100. In order to get power to screen, so that it illuminates, I have to apply pressure to to top of lid when laptop is open. What is going on?

Laptop screen flickering [ 4 Answers ]

Within the last month or so, I have noticed flickering on my laptop screen occasionally. Sometimes when I move the screen, it goes all bright and then returns to normal. As I said, this hasn't happened much, probably only about 10 times in the last month. However, when I turned it on today, it went...

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search