Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiduraKumar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 04:51 AM
    External/Portable Hard Drive not detected by my PC
    I have purchased a Verbatim Portable Hard Drive 120 GB (2.0 USB), it is not detected by my PC (Windows Vista, AVG Anti virus,firewall). The light of the hard drive is showing it is connected to PC, but on PC, I do not see it in My Computers. Somebody advised to make partition and format it. Please advise me.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 30, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Hello Bidura Kumar

Every hard drive should be "installed" first. That is like making the grooves in an 78 record. Than you have to set partitions. Like individual songs on an LP record. Making at least two partitions is advised.
    Each groove section needs to have a filing systems (like Fat 16, Fat 32, and/or NTFS)
    Windows Vista runs best at NTFS.

And after that you have to format each partition, so the computer knows where to look for data.

This LINK provides info on the pro's and con's of different filing systems (though the main line of the article is how to run different Oprational Systems together on one computer (Like Windows 98, XP or Vista, and Unix)

Success !

:>)
    BiduraKumar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiduraKumar
    I have purchased a Verbatim Portable Hard Drive 120 GB (2.0 USB), it is not detected by my PC (Windows Vista, AVG Anti virus,firewall). The light of the hard drive is showing it is connected to PC, but on PC, i do not see it in My Computers. Somebody advised to make partition and format it. Please advise me.
    Hi Crendendovidis, its great that you have replied to my query, but how should I install it, I have not received any install CD with the pack. I have read few articles of this site and quite comfortable (at least I think) that I can do the partitioning. Please help me how could I install it first. Thanks for you help.
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Aug 31, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Download the harddisk driver from below link

http://www.verbatim.com.sg/products/downloads.cfm

Try to use your external harddisk at another PC . Is it working or not ? Sometime external hard disk use the High Speed USB 2.0 and got a problem on some PC because some PC didn't support Hight Speed USB 2.0.

Regards,
    ABB
    -

Sep 4, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aung2bo
    Sometime external hard disk use the High Speed USB 2.0 and got a problem on some pc because some pc didn't support Hight Speed USB 2.0.
    Excellent point, aung2bo ! That could be one of the reasons for this problem too !

:)
    -

Sep 4, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiduraKumar
    Hi Crendendovidis, its great that you have replied to my query, but how should i install it, i have not received any install CD with the pack. I have read few articles of this site and quite comfortable (at least i think) that i can do the partitioning. please help me how could i install it first. Thanks for you help.
    Ok : first disconnect from Internet. Temporally switch off anti-virus and firewall.
    Check if the USB port is High Speed 2.0 version.
    If you connect the drive, and your computer still can not see it now , than check the new drive at another computer to make sure it is in working order.

Can you use a USB memory stick version 2.0 without any problems at the same USB port?

-

Sep 5, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Here another possible solution to your problem (which I found on this board)

Open Computer Management (Local) ->Storage -> Disk Management.
    Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Do one of the following:
    To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.

I had similar problems in the past with Fdisk being unable to assign more than 120 GB.
    But using Fdisk as far as possible, and the above method for assigning the remaining drive capacity sorted tha problem out.

However : that was an internal hard drive, not a USB external hard drive.

Please let me know if either this or the previous suggestion was of any help !

natz93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 06:44 PM
    I have the same problem and I have no clue as to of what you are talking about so can you give me a simple explanation to fix this problem, thanks
    carlangas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 07:25 PM
    Uninstall the USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE DRIVER and install it again
    trefly1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 09:36 AM
    Anything amCredendovidis said work.but all u got to dois format it there
    ellttee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Hellow Guys I am in South Africa, I have a problem with my Verbatim 1T External Hardrive it doesnot appear or not read by the computer after plugging it please help me what might be the problem.. bcoz power supply looks fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive is detected but not accessible [ 2 Answers ]

My hdd is getting detected as soon as I attach it to the laptop, I get a pop up that "there is a problem existing so ur device might nit work properly." can anyone help me out Regards, Abdul Majid.

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Choosing a portable external hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having difficulties choosing a portable hard drive with so many options available in the market these days. Should I stick to the branded pushbutton ones like Maxtor, Seagate, etc or one of those build-it-yourself ones? Are there any distinct advantage between the two? What special...

Portable hard drive passwords [ 3 Answers ]

How do I password protect a file I am putting onto a portable hard drive say for example I want to save old emails or work that I am not using but want to protect so only I can access it? Any help would be Awesome! Thanks

USB Portable Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have an existing hard drive that was formatted to be a slave (without OS) and has data already on it. I removed the hard drive from the machine and plugged it into a USB Portable Hard Drive. My computer will not recognize that the external hard drive is present. I do not want to erase the data...

View more questions Search