Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Longer ethernet cable?
    Hi everyone I have a wired router in one room with my desktop computer, I then have 2 cables coming from that router under the floor into my bedroom. One of them connects to my xbox and the other I want to connect to my laptop. The cable for my laptop isn't long enough for where I want it. Is there anything I can do to make it longer? I don't want to use wireless. Thanks.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 29, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Hello Apologisenow

No reason to apologize at all ! :)

You can buy at any computer parts shop a coupler (8 pin female-female) and an 8 pin extension cable. That will solve your problem!

Success !

:>)
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Aug 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Here is the link for what you need, you can get them at any electronic store. Just plug it in to the cable you have, and plug a cord that is long enough to get you to where you want to go, into that. CAT 5E Unshielded Inline Coupler; White (Connects 2 RJ45 Patch Cables)
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2008, 12:34 AM
    Thanks guys does it weaken the connection at all?
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Aug 31, 2008, 09:08 PM
    You can extend your RJ45 Cat5 network cable. But please note RJ45 Cat5 network cables are limited to a maximum of 100 m (328 ft) in length.

The more longer , the more weaken your connection.

Regards,
    ABB
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 5, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aung2bo
    You can extend your RJ45 Cat5 network cable. but please note RJ45 Cat5 network cables are limited to a maximum of 100 m (328 ft) in length.

the more longer , the more weaken your connection.

Regards,
    ABB
    It also depends on the speed at which you are trying to connect and the rating of your cable. CAT5 is good to 100M at 100MB. CAT5e is good to 100M at 100MB and 57M at 1GB. CAT6 is good to 100M at 1GB.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Chuck:

You units are all messed up; b= bit, B = Byte and units of transmission are 100 mb/s or 100 megabits/second. Speed is distance per unit time.

M as in meters should not be capitalized because it's not a proper name.
    Units like Volts, Henries, Siemens, Amperes are all proper names and thus the abbreviations of the first letter are capitalized.

You do deserve a reddie for that, but I know you meant well.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 7, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Chuck:

You units are all messed up; b= bit, B = Byte and units of transmission are 100 mb/s or 100 megabits/second. Speed is distance per unit time.

M as in meters should not be capitalized because it's not a proper name.
    Units like Volts, Henries, Siemens, Amperes are all proper names and thus the abbreviations of the first letter are capitalized.

You do deserve a reddie for that, but I know you meant well.
    You are right. I get in the habit of capitalizing and truncating stuff for the sake of appearance instead of accuracy. So please accept my retraction and correction:

Cat 5 UTP - 100mb/s - 100 meters
    Cat 5e UTP - 100mb/s - 100 meters
    Cat 5e UTP - 1.0gb/s - 57 meters
    Cat 6 UTP - 1.0gb/s - 100 meters
    Cat 6a UTP - 10.0gb/s - 100 meters

I have seen claims that Cat 5e UTP is good for up to 100 meters at 1gb/s and it has occasionaly been true for me but it is fails more often then not at shorter distances. It depends so much on the quality and quantity of all of the connection points (patch panel, etc.) and how well the cable twist is maintained at these connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Netflix Player ethernet cable? [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering buying the Netflix Player by Roku. However, I can't seem to find certain information about it. According to its description on the webste, it connects to the computer via an ethernet connection. I have an ethernet cable, but it's currently connecting my computer to the wireless...

Connect with ethernet cable [ 4 Answers ]

How do I connect two laptops both running XP with an ethernet cable?

Abe to connet to Wireless but not through Ethernet Cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have a strange problem... I am able to connect to Wireless network but not able to connect through the ethernet cable to same network. I am not able to renew my IP address with ipconfig /all or inconfig /release/renew I tried rebooting my router but it doesn't help. I am using belkin...

Ethernet cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am on orange broadband and I need to connect the ethernet cable from my livebox into my computer ,however I donot have an ethernet socket on my computer so is there another way of doing this .

Ethernet cable doesn't fit in socket [ 6 Answers ]

First of all, yes, I'm putting it in the right place. I know which one is the modem socket and which one is for an ethernet cable. I've used this same socket (is that the best word?) for over a year, and it's been fine. Now, however, my ethernet cable keeps coming out of the socket. I can put...

View more questions Search