Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kt123456 Posts: 36, Reputation: -2

Aug 29, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Contraception percentage
    What percentage chance is there of falling pregnant if you use a condom whilst having sex but you are not on the pill?
    joanne 1986 Posts: 165, Reputation: 7

Aug 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
    I couldn't give you an accurate % but as long as the condom doesn't split or come off you should be fine.have you considered taking the pill?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Depends on the condom and how well you follow directions.

While you *could* be fine just using condoms, I (and several others I know) got pregnant using the pill, a condom, and spermicide correctly. Chances were low that I could get pregnant, but there was still a chance.

The ONLY way to avoid getting pregnant is to not have sex.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Aug 29, 2008, 03:38 PM
    This is actually a kind of controversial topic, believe it or not. Some studies put it in the high nineties while I've seen others at about 50/50. I even read an article that said the AIDS virus is smaller than the holes in the condom walls, so even though it's water tight because the gaps are SO small, the virus can get through (I don't know if I believe it, but I guess better safe than sorry). It all depends on who you ask. I think the majority of people believe it's somewhere around 85%. Of course, the more methods of contraception you use, the better your chances.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Aug 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Condoms are not a good contraceptive. They are good, however to protect you from S.T.D's. With condoms, the pregnancy rate is hit or miss. The reason behind this is because the percentage of success as a contraceptive is never the same. 10 people could test a condom... and each time they use them a different percent will have breakage or no breakage. They are not used, anymore, with the intent on protecting one's ability to keep unpregnant.. lol. We now know better... so we use them to protect us from S.T.D's and instead, for birthcontrol, we use "The Pill" or "The Patch". Hope this was useful to you...
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Aug 29, 2008, 09:07 PM
    The typical effectiveness of condoms is usually rated between 95% and 99%. Most all failures are due to misuse. In other words, make sure you don't use them after they have been stored in extreme hot or cold climates, make sure it goes on correctly, and make sure when you are finished, you hold the condom at the base when he pulls out.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Aug 30, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Your just not going to get the same percentage from everyone. Best thing to do IS to Google it. DrLang has a good point about misuse...
    joanne 1986 Posts: 165, Reputation: 7

Aug 30, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Aww sorry to hear that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What contraception to use? [ 5 Answers ]

I will be having a 2 week long getaway with my BF, in a month. I am thinking of taking contraception but just confused what to use and I heard that it has some side effects.I have no problem of taking pills, I won't forget it. Im just "scared" with the side effects. My period is regular and this...

Contraception in schools [ 178 Answers ]

For school we're having to write a persuasive paper on a topic of our chosing. I recently had to switch mine because, I was having issues finding information on my other topic. The topic I got switchted to is 'Contraception in schools' basically whether school nurses should or should be allowed to...

Contraception injection [ 1 Answers ]

I had the contraception injection in June and was due the following one in September but did not have it.My period satrted on Sunday does this mean the injection is out of my system and that I can start trying for a nother baby after I've already lost one

Emergecy contraception [ 1 Answers ]

Hello About five weeks ago, we had a broken condom fiasco. I took "Plan B" emergency contraception the next morning, had all the symptoms of it working and felt better within a few days. My period is now six weeks late - I took three home pregnancy tests this week and all of them came back...

Contraception.but when? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I do not have sex with my boyfriend daily.BUT may be once in a week we do so.Like Saturday or Sunday... The doctor has prescribed me contraception pills... could you please let me know when should I take it? As in if I know he is coming home tomorrow... how many hours before having sex do...

View more questions Search