Is it true that if you are a ballet dancer
    Your mostly likely to be skinny
    And not have a curvy figure
    I have 2 hour long ballet lessons twice a week
    And I'm 15 and I'm very uncurvy
    What can help?
    Luvscats11 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 12:37 PM
    LOL no that's not true you can be whatever you want to be. IT doesn't matter.
    doglover92 Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Dec 30, 2008, 06:15 PM

Take it from me, I have done dance for 12 years and I am only 16. I myself have a stomach, very large thighs and a large bust. Even though I am curvy I have never been told I couldn't dance because of that. I was told I couldn't dance because I didn't have a strong enough posture.

So don't worry about it. GO FOR IT!
    doglover92 Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Dec 30, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Also if you want to sit ups or excersises that tone your body where your "curvy"
    jazmine16 Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Jan 2, 2009, 12:37 AM

MOST of the ballet dancers are skinny and all that but it's not the qualifications that u need to posses in order to be a good ballerina. And even if yyou're dancing ballet, you can still have a curvy figure. Situps helps just like what doglover92 said. :)
    LolaBirdie Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2009, 01:55 PM

Body shape does not matter, with ballet you need a strong core and good posture. Always concentrate on tightening your stomach muscles when your dance. One of my instructors would always say concentrate on pulling your belly button in, not sucking it in. This will help you balance and look beautiful dancing not matter how curvy or uncurvy you are
    satfira Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 07:51 PM

As a ballet dancer myself, I can testify that it doesn't matter what your build is nor how uncoordinated you are. Ballet helps you work on your coordination. If you want to be skinny, you can always do more dancing but at home and, of course, avoiding fatty foods. The main thing is... to enjoy!
    KatieLynn_31892 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 07:48 PM

Ha ha I'm a ballet dancer and I have been since I was 3 and I am somewhat curvy. My best friends who is also I ballet dancer is not at all so it doesn't really matter its just your natural body type.
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Mar 14, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Well of course, ANYONE can dance classical ballet but it all depends on if you want to just do ballet dancing or be a professional ballet dancer. That is, to join a professioanl ballet company. In that case you would certainly have to have a figure that fits classical ballet.
    True classical ballet dancers are definitely NOT CURVY, but thin, with long legs, good chin and neck line, small hips, flat chest. That's what ballet masters and audiences look for. So the advice I see given here is mostly false encouragement. They want to encourage you to dance and this is a good thing, but not if you want to be a truly, perfect ballet dancer. It is a false hope. Curvy is out! Well, depends on how curvy. Female ballet dancers are flat chested. You must know this. Voluptous, no, if you're aiming at a big, professional ballet company like ABT, NYC Ballet, Joffrey, etc. There are regional companies of course or on an amateur level that you could possibly dance with.
    This does not diminish your chances of dancing though. How about character dance? Ballet companies use character dancers in all the big ballets. Study folk and character dance from a good teacher. It's not only something SPECIAL but fun as well.
    Good luck. And continue dancing!
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Mar 14, 2009, 03:24 PM

On reading my answer to you regarding ballet dancing I may have sounded too discouraging. I did not mean to do that but only to give you an honest answer. I have been in ballet all my life and with professional companies, so I know what I'm talking about and it is wrong to give false hopes, keeping in mind what I said before.
    But satfira is right to an extent. Coordination DOES matter, but you are young enough to even re-shape your figure. It all depends on how much you love dancing. With that, anything is possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ballet talk [ 4 Answers ]

how will i be able to improve my extensions??? are there any steps/exercise that i can do at home so my extensions would get better? :p

Ballet movie [ 1 Answers ]

Movie from the 90's, london, young poor boy wants to become a ballet dancer, he is teased and ridiculed by friends and father who all love boxing

All religions have the same universal truths? [ 9 Answers ]

Is this accurate? Or even possible? Any comments?

Firearms: Views, Truths and Taboos [ 35 Answers ]

What is your view on owning a type of weapon, used solely for the purpose of defending your property, home, collecting, etc *Keep in mind that I emphasize safety first, meaning that proper handling, knowledge, safety, stowing and security of said weapon is an primary MUST.* Personally, yes. I...

View more questions Search