Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessalynn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Cheap Foreign Labor
    :eek: 7. The “cheap foreign labor” argument claims that trade with low wage countries will reduce living standards in the US.

a. Explain why the text authors feel this argument is wrong.

b. The text refers to the example of Brazilian coffee. If the US had a coffee growing industry before the US starting to import Brazilian coffee, what do the text authors assume will happen to the US coffee workers who lose their jobs to foreign competition?
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Apr 29, 2006, 01:06 PM
    I will take an answer from a textbook of mine:
    "... increased international trade led to lower US wages and employment. The reason was that trade took the form of imports that led US residents to substitute away from US-produced products in favor of products from abroad. The resulting decline in the product price reduced the marginal revenue of labor, causing US companies to reduce their demand for labor. Of course, greater openness to intl. trade can also induce more US companies to export goods and services abroad. As more domestic firms enter foreign markets, the demand for US workers rises at any given wage rate. This tends to push the market wage upward in labor markets in which these firms compete for labor. In addition, employment rises in these labor markets... If we imagine that all other things are constant, then greater openness to imports tends to depress domestic wages and employment. An increased propensity to export goods and services tends to raise domestic wages and employment, however."

Daniels, Joseph P. and VanHoose, David D.Global Economic Issues and Policies. Southwestern, Thomson Learning. 2004.

As the rest of the chapter explores, this is a complicated issue and there are many other factors to take into consideration. Furthermore, international trade tends to cause relative wages in the trading countries to converge. But one has to differentiate between a myriad of factors such as education, skilled vs. unskilled labor, different policies, different financial and economic states of each nation, population... the list goes on.

Textbooks spend whole chapters exploring each possible solution to your questions. At the risk of sounding harsh, read your textbook again and try to understand why they make the claims they do. Try to make it relevant to what the US is experiencing today. If nothing else, try reading the news to see how trade policies affect jobs and wages.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre labor/False labor [ 4 Answers ]

Ok odd question. How long can pre labor last? I have been having contractions since Sunday and they don't get any closer and/or change in intesity. I was just wondering since even with two previous births I have never before experienced this. I don't even know if it is pre labor or not. I just...

Where do I find cheap cigarettes? [ 6 Answers ]

There used to be a website where a person could buy cigarettes from an Indian reservation but I can't find it anymore. Where can I find the cheapest quality cigs?

Cheap Rental Property [ 6 Answers ]

Where is the best real estate market in the United States (IN,AZ,CA,NY,TX, NV, IA,MO etc.) interms of purchasing cheap rental (Duplex) property and renting the units, but at a purchase of under $50,000.00. Interesting in buying cheap property, but looking for rentals that already have tenats...

Cheap tickets [ 3 Answers ]

Do you know where I can find a cheap ticket from france to sacramento, California? All is just so expensive! :eek:

Cheap mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

What is your opinion on interest only mortgages? A person can get a $200,000 house for 1.5 to 2 percent! Their sell is that someone can invest the savings and have enough cash after 30-years to buy the house and have money to retire on... Thoughts? :eek:

View more questions Search