Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsa7461 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Portuguese citizenship application for a non portuguese spouse
    Im a portuguese national married to a south african lady. We have been married for 20 years - we have three daughters. Our wedding has been registered with the consulate in South Africa and in Portugal. Our three daughters are proud holders of a portuguese passport.

I believe that in the recent past Portuguese immigration law has changed to this regard, how can my wife apply for portuguese citizenship and a portuguese passport ?

I look fwd to some replies

Thank you...
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 05:15 PM
    In most countries, if you're married to an alien and live in her country permanently, she would not be eligible to obtain citizenship through marriage though the children are dual citizenship. BUT if you relocate back to your home country and your family go with you, in case like this, she would be able to obtain permanent residence status and after a certain period, she will be eligible for naturalization. For detail information, please consult the Portuguese embassy.
    badPortugal Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Sep 19, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa7461
    Im a portuguese national married to a south african lady. We have been married for 20 years - we have three daughters. Our wedding has been registered with the consulate in South Africa and in Portugal. Our three daughters are proud holders of a portuguese passport.

I believe that in the recent past Portuguese immigration law has changed to this regard, how can my wife apply for portuguese citizenship and a portuguese passport ?

thank you...
    I wouldn't bother... as portuguese Bureacracy is terrible and since she is your wife she can continue to live, work in the EU with you.

Travelling may be a problem within the EU and the portuguese process to register spouses is so complicated and bureaucratic. This is possibly a reason why there seem to so many fake methods.. which I do not encourage you to even think about.

Portugal and Spain are the worst countries with their bureaucracy with diplomats who have no intelligence what soever. Take the Portuguese consulate in Goa who has a certain Natasha who just makes her won assumptions. Thye are so inneficient that it is easier to go though a lawyer in portugal
    Larissa Bona Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa7461 View Post

thank you...
    Your wife is eligible to apply for the Portuguese citizenship as spouse because she is married to you for over 3 years.

This procedure is not simple because the Portuguese Civil Register Offices keep requesting the applicants to show evidence of their link to the Portuguese community without this being a legal requirement.

Summing up I must say that it is possible for you wife to grant the Portuguese citizenship, but it is better for you to hire a lawyer to help you with it because even the Consulates are advising the applicants to seek for legal assistance.
    rosafernc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
    I can determine the answer if you give me the exact day of your marriage because, over the last 20 years portuguese Nationality laws have changed. As per the new legislation if you married your wife at a time when the country's law stated that your wife becomes Portuguese upon ariage then she is and so on. So please provide the date.
    marwil3127 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
    I am married to portuguese nationality and I am philippine nationality, we have 3 yrs.old son what will be the requirements for our marriage?please help me thanks and god bless
    v4uonline Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 07:47 AM
    am from goa i hold portuguese nationality and my girlfriend is from peru we are going out for four years we work together on the cruiseship i would be moving to europe soon and am worried i like my girlfriend to be with me she will be coming to goa in 2013 and i will be getting civil marriage with me. I would like to know some information so we live together in europe .as it important for our relation .i need some help.
    Charly1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 10:53 AM
    Married on 23 August 1983

Jul 20, 2013, 10:02 AM
    I am married to portuguese nationality and I am philippine nationality, we have 3 yrs.old son what will be the requirements for our marriage?please help me thanks and god bless
    Have you already got legally married in Philippines? Is that? Have you already registered your marriage in Portugal?

Jul 20, 2013, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by v4uonline View Post
    am from goa i hold portuguese nationality and my girlfriend is from peru we are going out for four years we work together on the cruiseship i would be moving to europe soon and am worried i like my girlfriend to be with me she will be coming to goa in 2013 and i will be getting civil marriage with me. I would like to know some information so we live together in europe .as it important for our relation .i need some help.
    Your girlfriend will only be able to apply for the citizenship after 3 years of marriage to you. Nonetheless, she can migrate with you to Europe and apply for residence on the grounds of family reunion as spouse of European citizen. The residence permit under these grounds is very straightforward to be obtained.

Jul 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Charly1960 View Post
    Married on 23 August 1983
    Unfortunately, your wife does not qualify under the previous rule that wives of Portuguese citizens would obtain the citizenship automatically. Only those who got married before 3rd October 1981 are entitled to the automatic citizenship. In this case, your wife will have to apply for the citizenship under the new rule, which is stricter. I advise you to seek professional help of lawyers to assist you with this matter, since it is very likely her application will be sorted out at the Court. My firm works with this type of matter and if you wish we can assist you with it. If you Google my name, you will be able to find my e-mail and Facebook.

Regards,

Larissa Bona
    V4me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
    What's her name?
    V4me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
    Is her name Carla?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Application Requirements for Portuguese Passport [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for any information or guidance with regard to applying for my Portuguese passport. I was born and live in the Republic of South Africa, my father is Mozambican and my mother South African. We are currently entitled to dual citizenship. My father was born in mozambique in 1940...

Obtaining Portuguese citizenship through my spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been married to a portuguese citizen for 5 years now. I am a South African citizen. We live in the UK. Can I obtain Portuguese citizenship as I am married to her? If so how to I go about it? I have been trying to obtain info from the Portuguese consulate but have not had any luck yet....

Portuguese passport Application Form [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to obtain a passport application form, electronically, without having to visit the embabsy in London? I have a portuguese passort and need to apply for one for my spouse.

Portuguese passport application [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goan friend resident in Goa who qualifies for a Portuguese passport as per your Sticky. I notice that you say applications should go through the nearest consulate. I'm told this can take years. She has previously travelled to the UK so, presumably she could enter Portugal. Question... If...

View more questions Search