Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Windows XP Recovery won't complete?
    I'm trying to recover a compaq laptop, 3200 series.

I have the recovery disc's and was able to make it through all four disc's but now, it will not start.

I have discovered that it says it is missing or corrupt WINDOWS/system32/config/system.

It says I can repair with the XP CD, which I also have, but it will not boot or start the cd rom.

All I get is a super fast blue screen flash, so quick you can't even see what it says.

I ran the fast test, and everything says OK, but the long test failed.

How the heck can I get this fixed?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Aug 28, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Did you go into the bios and change the boot order?

When you first turn on the PC.. it will say somewhere like hit F2 or F12 or etc to enter setup
    Hit it...

In set up look for boot devices. Change the order so it first goes to the cd rom. Then , make sure the xp disc is in. it will boot to it.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Aug 28, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Can you og in with Safe Mode... quickly hit your F8 key when starting up

If you can then type MSCONFIG in Start-Run window... see if it comes up.

Check to see how the system is trying. Normal or Selective
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX
    did you go into the bios and change the boot order?

when you first turn on the pc.. it will say somewhere like hit F2 or F12 or etc to enter setup
    hit it....

in set up look for boot devices. change the order so it first goes to the cd rom. then , make sure the xp disc is in. it will boot to it.
    I have the cd-rom as the first boot source, but it stays on the start mode screen, safe mode,
    Last known config etc etc etc and no matter which mode is chosen, it won't open the XP disc from the cd rom?
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Well, it may all be for naught now, the damn thing just shut off, and I can't even get the power to come on now??

I took the battery out, unplugged the AC cord, and I'm letting it cool off as it seemed a little warm, the damn thing may have seen its last days??
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 03:20 PM
    OK.
    I got the thing to power up again, re-ran the recovery discs, still have same problem.

You see the windows start up screen for about 1 second, then the blue screen with something indicated, but it only lasts about a half a second, then it goes to the start windows normally screen.

I cannot get it to start in safe mode, with or without command prompt.

The last thing on the page as it loads the drivers says WINDOWS/system32/drivers/atisgkaf.sys That is where it stops and goes back to the normal/safe mode/safe mode with command prompt etc.

I have it booting from hard drive first since I tried with the XP CD on hard drive and that didn't work either.

Any other suggestions??

Aug 29, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Well, atisgkaf.sys is the ATI AGP driver.. (video) I know that much...
    I'm really supprised it won't boot to the CD. I've never seen that fail!

You need to somehow make that work... try digging around the net for a XP Boot cd.
    If you can burn it to a cd you may be able to do just a simple boot so you can run the xp repair.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 02:26 PM
    OK.

I finally got the damn thing to boot from the CD.

I chose the Repair function, but I still end up with the laptop unable to start.

Is there a way to just wipe out the entire hard drive, and do an install from scratch?

I get to the screen that is asking which windows installation I want to log into?

I type "1" and I get a command prompt C:\windows>

What needs to be typed there?

This thing is about to go sailing across the room!!
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Aug 29, 2008, 08:11 PM
    SAIL IT>>> It's a COMPAQ haha

But no seriously, just delete the partition and do a fresh format and install,, this should fix the problem, if not its problay some write errors on the hd which can possibly be fixed if there is a low number, can you take out the HD? Tell me the manufacturer...

Sep 3, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Yes you can wipe it.

Get it to boot from the cd again, but pick new install instead of repair.
    When you get to the partition section. Delete the partition, then create new partition.
    When creating a new partition, I would pick full format (not quick format)
    -this will take a while, depending on the size of the HD

Once completed, then install XP on the newly created partition.

WARNING... THIS ERASES EVERYTHING! ALL OF IT! ALL GONE! ZIP! NADA! BYE BYE DATA! Lol

Its always good to wipe the HD once in a while anyway
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 3, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Clean off the xp disk in straight lines, away from the center (not
    In circles) with a soft cloth, looking for fingerprints, etc.

Please come back here for advice on how to prevent future problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP : Pasword Recovery [ 3 Answers ]

Can any body help me to recover my windows XP password. I am unable to log on Please help

Hp pavilion recovery<windows root>system32hal.dll [ 1 Answers ]

I made a mistake of not burning my recovery disks out of the system. Now I have a problem with the system and it is showing this error that Windows could not start because the following file is missing System32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file. Could you please assist so I...

Windows 98 no recovery Disk [ 3 Answers ]

I was given a Compaq Presario 7470 that is messed up, it needs everything you could think of. When first turning it on it would reboot over and over. Finally I got passed that but now I am getting a invalid messege "Invalid Vxd dynamic link call from NTMAphlp(02)+00000002 to device "004F" My...

View more questions Search