Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Messed up my registry.
    Few months back I did something I got from a website that supposedly would let me print a directory list. Well, I don't like the format that it prints, and it would not let me SAVE the list (which was really my goal).

Worse yet, I now have to right click > Open all folders on my computer. When I double click on them it opens the Search function.

I see this, but I'm afraid to do anything for fear of screwing up worse. That tweak I did a couple months ago is the only time I've messed with the registry.

Any suggestions for my best next step to getting my system back to normal?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Sorry, forgot to say: WindowsXP Home Edition.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Oh, you're going to LOVE me :)

Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder

Ta-da!
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Also I use Karen's Directory Printer for directory printing.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Hey, that's it!

Only problem now is that I tried to follow these instructions to backup the registry, and I do not have Accessories > System Tools > Backup.

... will creating a restore point be basically the same thing as backing up the registry?
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 09:57 AM
    I see now that it does... off to tweaking, thanks Need!
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 10:03 AM
    A Windows backup will save files to a location you specify (can even be to CDR). This can include user created files.

A Restore Point will take a system snapshot at that moment in time. It does not include user created files.

A backup of the Registry can be done in Regedit under File > Export.

Good luck!
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Done deal. Thanks, Need!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Messed up big time with girl [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all glad I found this forum as it contains a wealth of useful knowledge but I need others opinions about a situation I have. I am 20 in college and have never really had a serious relationship. In the past year or so I started talking with some girls at different times and have been very close...

Messed Up 4 Life [ 53 Answers ]

I Was Engaged To Be Married 2 Yrs. Ago. I Was With Him For 4 Yrs. We Met New Year's Day 2000, Got Together May 1, 2000, Broke Up For The First Time New Year's Day 2003,but Then We Got Engaged May 1, 2003. I Set Our Wedding Date For New Year's Day 2004. I Had The Day, Place, Dress, Rings,...

Shoot! I think I messed up [ 6 Answers ]

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb...

E-mail colors messed up [ 3 Answers ]

I'm using 98SE--All the e-mails in my Yahoo account are highlighted in some dark blue color that is hard to read--The colors on the side where it says Inbox-Bulk-etc. are perfect--I have tried the 16 bit, and the 256 bit color change--that doesn't work--Also changed the colors in e-mail to a...

Messed up hair! [ 2 Answers ]

Today I highlighted my hair at home using herbal esseance blonde hightlights. My hair has never been hightlighted before but it's a light brown blonde or honey color. I didn't leave it in long about only 15 min. when my mom who also used the same color came out of the shower after washing it out...

View more questions Search