Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmriggs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 06:55 AM
    How does a Supervisor talk with an employee about body odor
    I supervise 14 people in the Security field and have a female with body odor. As you can imagine this is an uncomforable topic to discuss with anyone, but a female even more so.

How do I talk about body odor with the femal employee?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Aug 28, 2008, 07:36 AM
    The experience I have, is let HR deal with it... they are trained to avoid law suits that arise... if your HR is distant, they should be advised. Follow their advice to avoid inevitable discrimination accusations. Good luck...
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Aug 28, 2008, 07:59 AM
    I don't think it's discriminatory to quietly take her aside and tell her she's has body odor. There is no easy way to say it. You can trying finding another female to say it for you. However, what are the chances that she'll want to be the one pulling that kind of trigger. Try this: Ask her if you can talk to her about something of a "sensitive nature", she'll begin to wonder what in the world you could be referring to. This sets up the approach. Then take her aside and say, "I feel very uncomfortable to say this but I feel you should be made aware. I hope you won't take this the wrong way or think that I am trying to be malicious. There is no easy way to say this so I'll just say it. (Say her name first...), "_____ you seem to have body odor." It is hard to say no matter how you slice it or dice it... I'm pretty sure I would not want to do it. If it really is so difficult to live w/ then it's something that just has to be done.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Sep 3, 2008, 06:32 AM
    I agree with SweetDee, however, would like to add one note. Make sure you have a female employee with you so that it is not just you and the female employee. It is sad, but you need to have a witness to what is said to the employee to avoid costly lawsuits.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Body odor. [ 11 Answers ]

Okay, so, this is kind of an embarrassing subject but uh.. yeah. Anyway, I'm a 17 year old girl. Well, over the last couple months... or year... I have notice that I have some... body odor problems. Not anything noticeable really. But like, my under arms don't really ever smell good. I wear...

How to whiten underarm and to prevent from body odor [ 2 Answers ]

What are the tips to help me whiten my underarm and to prevent from body odor? During my high school days I've experienced an allergy on my underarm and it becomes reddish to darker color and it's really hard for me to whiten my underarm and there is also bad odor due to excessive sweating. What...

Body odor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a body odor. How could I get rid of them? :D

Bad body odor? [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently discovered that I have a different body odor than normal. I normally don't even have to use deodrant but now I use it and still smell. I have even tried different kinds of deodrant to see if that was the problem and that doesn't work. I just don't know what to do? Is this like a...

Body odor smell in play room [ 1 Answers ]

I've noticed a very strong body odor smell in the children's playroom the past couple of evenings. Of course when I first noticed it, I cleaned out everything, trying to find the source and found nothing, the smell went away... then yesterday evening it came back. I cannot locate the source. The...

View more questions Search