Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Aug 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Canadian visa, or immagration possibilitys
    Hello,

My current situation is this; I am a U.S. Citizen born and raised, I have a girlfriend who currently lives in Toronto, Ontario Canada. We have been together for over a year now and On the 5th of July she gave birth to our son.
    What I am looking for is any way that she would be able to come to the U.S. and Live and work, other than a petition for a finance. Currently she's been coming as a visitor but the first time we travled we ran into problems at the border (land border by car) and they almost did not let her enter because she is "High risk." Were not having an easy time finding advice either.
    Could you help?

Thank you
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Since she already had a "high risk" note in her immigration record, it would be impossible to file for adjustment of status when entered on visa waiver program. You should get married in Canada, and you return to US to file petition for immigrant visa for her.

Aug 27, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Well I'm not sure if she had the high risk note applied, she does come over on her own with no problems since the one incident... I think they didn't like she was with me in my car...

So we could possibly adjust status?
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Aug 28, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Sorry lawanwadee but I don't think telling this gentleman to get married when he did not bring up the issue can be considered sound Immigration advice.

Also, it sounds as if this couple would be considered common-law. Does the U.S make the distinction between common-law and married in context of Immigration law?
    Immigration Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BMI
    Also, it sounds as if this couple would be considered common-law. Does the U.S make the distiction between common-law and married in context of Immigration law?
    No common law when it comes to US immigration. The couple must be legally married only.

Aug 28, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BMI
    Sorry lawanwadee but I don't think telling this gentleman to get married when he did not bring up the issue can be considered sound Immigration advice.

Also, it sounds as if this couple would be considered common-law. Does the U.S make the distiction between common-law and married in context of Immigration law?

Yea we happened to speak to a canadian immagration lawyer and orginaly he thought I wanted to move to canada and was going to go the route of common law, but he said he isn't sure if the U.S. recognized that, and right now marriage isn't really a fiesability for us considering I will lose my health insurance, nor are we quite at that level in the relationship.

So eariler law you mentioned an adjustment of status?
    Immigration Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Adjustment of status can be done only in case the couple are legally married.

Aug 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Are there any other possibilitys?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian, qo I need canada visa to visit Niagara falls from canada side, let anyone know how to apply Thanks

J1 visa tax for a Canadian student interning in US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I worked in the US from April 30- August 27, 2007. From Jan - April 2007 and Sept - Dec 2007 I was studying at a university in Canada (I am a Canadian citizen). I have never worked in the US before. The company I worked for withheld state and federal taxes. How do the taxes work for my...

Canadian immigrant applying for US spouse Visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Canadian Immigrant and will be giving my citizenship test this year by the and of July , 2007. My husband has got a H1 (work Visa) in America and heis working with Nokia in, Dallas. Am I eligible to get US spouse Visa on the basis of my husband from Canada?

Working in PA on a H1B Visa. Canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I am currently working on an H1B Visa for a non-profit. I am a Canadian citizen and been working here since the start of Sept 2006. Which Non Resident form do I fill out for federal income taxes? Is it the 1040EZ? Also, must I fill out a (PA) state income tax form as well? As a H1B...

Canadian with J1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Canadian, and I possess a J1 Visa which indicates that I am a trainee. I am doing my internship for a private company in USA for four months. I have the following tax questions. Please help. I am very confused by US's complex tax system. 1. What form do I file the tax with? (I...

View more questions Search