Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davethomasowns Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Connects to Network, but can't get on Internet
    Hello!

Just purchased an HP dv5-1017nr at Best Buy today. I can't get the internet to work. It sees networks, excellent strengths, and even connects to them, but will not go to the internet. I tried two different houses. It shows that it connects to the network but stays stuck on "Identifying."

Exchanged for a new one being a noob, and this one does the same thing. I have a desktop and another notebook with Vista that works with my router, so any ideas why this isn't working? I really need the internet for school that started on Monday (I'm a college student.) Here are some settings someone else asked for:

If you click here you can see how it says "Identifying." http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6023/connectionnc5.jpg

Thank you kindly!
    Shane
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Aug 27, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Check your router first. Do you DHCP in your router? If not , you need to key in the IP address , Default Gate Way and DNS in your wireless network connection. If your use DHCP in your router, check the DHCP configuration.

Check your IPv4 setting also , automatic or manual for IP ?

Try it.

Best Regards,
    ABB

Aug 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aung2bo
    Check your router first. Do you DHCP in your router? If not , you need to key in the IP address , Default Gate Way and DNS in your wireless network connection. If your use DHCP in your router, check the DHCP configuration.

check your IPv4 setting also , automatic or manual for IP ?

Try it.

Best Regards,
    ABB
    Yes, I see that it's using DHCP. The IPv4 settings are on auto.

It's a D LINK DIR-625. If I wanted to try and manually key in the numbers, how do I find this information out?

Thanks
    Shane
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Manually add your ISP DNS entries on the laptop:
    How to configure TCP/IP to use DNS in Windows XP

Aug 28, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Manually add your ISP DNS entries on the laptop:
    How to configure TCP/IP to use DNS in Windows XP
    How do I find out these numbers those? I see where I can manually enter them, I just don't know them.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Contact your ISP's tech support or access their site from another computer, they usually publish them in a Tech Support of their website.
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Aug 28, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davethomasowns
    How do I find out these numbers those? I see where I can manually enter them, I just don't know them.
    You check on your home desktop.

Right Click on your network icon in your start bar.
    You will see the Network and Sharing Center. Click it.
    One window will open and find manage network connection.
    And then right click on the network Icon and choose properties.
    And then choose Ipv4. And click properties again.

You can see in there.

Regards,
    ABB
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 01:40 AM
    Your screenshot shows that your laptop has not received an IP address from your router so you are *not* connected to your home wireless network.

Aug 29, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Figured it out today!

It turned out to be the WEP security. Even though I entered it right and it would connect, I guess there's a compatibility issue somewhere?

I disabled that and turned on WPA and it works perfect!

Tried the same thing at my house with my network and same thing, connects instantly.

I am so relieved to have this solved. Thanks for all of your help.

Shane

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet sharing through Ad hoc network [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Ethenet broad band internet connection I want to share it through my notebook's ad hoc wireless network. I have WLAN mini card in my notebook with windows XP SP2

Internet control on Network [ 4 Answers ]

Hi we have one main computer windows XP Professional (SP2), this computer is directly connected to Internet Through Router and with this computer we sharing the internet to 10 Different COmputers with the help of Lan Sitch, the problem is from main computer I want to control Internet on different...

Can't connect to network or internet [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get an ip address on my desktop. It is connected to the network that already has 2 laptops connected to it via a router. Both of the laptops are also communicating with the internet via the router which is connected to the modem.

Can't get on the network and internet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a macintosh with a airless linksys router. My cable line is connected to it I have a powerbook that hooks up occasionally with airport. I did have my windows xp machine working on it. But I had to reformat my drive. I am using a dell wireless usb adapter. The machine can recognize the...

Network over the internet [ 11 Answers ]

I need to set up a network between three computers two are Networked through Ethernet, but I need to access the third over the internet. How do I set up the protocol? Two of the computer's run Windows XP and the third is running OS X Panther. I need to connect to one of the XP computers with the...

View more questions Search