Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moomin Posts: 167, Reputation: 19

Aug 27, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Accepting a job etiquette?
    Hello all!

I am currently unemployed and applying for (what feels like millions of) jobs. To let you know I am currently applying for retail work, I have lots of experience in that!

I am hoping to hear back from one potential employer on Friday... However, I have another job interview tomorrow! This involves a trial period on the shop floor and I think it will be make or break time... meaning I think they are going tell me at the end of the shift, then and there, if I have the job or not!

So, I really want to hold out to hear from the job on Friday as it's a better position in the store!

I have no idea what to do! I don't know if I should take the job tomorrow if I am offered it or hold out for the other job?

I need a job badly! I am concerned about having to tell the first employer I have changed my mind and don't want it after all if I get the other job?

Is it rude to ask for the weekend to consider my answer?

HELP ME PLEASE? As you can tell my head is in bits!
    Camborio Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Aug 27, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I would politely ask if you could have the weekend to consider since you need more time to go over the benefits package they are offering you. If they need an immediate answer it seems logical you need the job, take it if they offer it to you, if the other place offers you a job try and juggle both jobs or leave one behind. You can adjust your resume accordingly. Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 06:05 PM
    But in the end a job in the hand is better than being hungry next week.

Aug 27, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Very true, you sometimes have to take what is offered to you in order to find better.

Aug 28, 2008, 01:29 AM
    I would like to thank you millions guys and girls! You have been a massive help! I'll let you know how it goes!

Aug 28, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Hi again all!

Well I went, it was AWFUL! I think it was illegal too so I'm going to seek some advice about it. I know it won't help me but hopefully will stop anything horrid for anyone else!

Thanks again for the advice!

Aug 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
    OMG What happened?

Sep 2, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Well I was never actually interviewed! When I accepted the interview I was told there was a 'trial shift' involved which I had heard of places doing before! However, this boss was rude and not very nice and just wanted someone to work for free for the afternoon! I'm seriously thinking of going to Citizens advice because it was horrid! I got paid £4.50 for my troubles!

Sep 3, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Yes I totally agree that you should do something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accepting my sexuality and who to tell [ 46 Answers ]

Hey, I'm been working on accepting that on some level, I am a bisexual male. I have had some experiences with a guy, and while I didn't think much of them at the time, I am now questioning myself quite a bit. I have told my girlfriend of 5 years about all of my experiences, and about all...

Accepting it's over. [ 13 Answers ]

I was dumped about 2 weeks ago, and I'm having trouble with stage one of a break up: accepting that she is not coming back. Anyone have any tips on how to move on from this "waiting" stage? Is it still TOO early to move on for me and normal to still have this "waiting" state of mind? Any...

Asking for a Lap Top before accepting a new role. [ 1 Answers ]

I work in the IT industry and the time-frames are challenging. I have recently been offered a six month contract however I do not want to accept this offer unless I am provided with a Lap Top. I have a Lap Top in my curent role and I am able to dial in from home to access the system and work...

Accepting his child [ 5 Answers ]

I'm confused: I recently started to date a great guy. I'm 27 and he's 29. I received an e-mail from a woman that is claiming she is having his baby. I was really upset about it, but at the same time I'm adult enough to look past this. I told her that I already knew about the situation (even though...

Accepting Androids [ 11 Answers ]

How would you feel associating with an Android who was virtually indistinguishable from human? I recently read in Scientific American Magazine concerning the psychological reaction people have when in the presence of a machine which is striving to mimic not only human thought processes but also...

View more questions Search