Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhodges Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Accelerator sticking on Toyota Celica
    Ok... I've gotten some suggestions on this before... and after following the suggestions I have some new information that may help you help me.

I have a 1990 Toyota Celica and the accelerator sticks when I first crank the car. I have cleaned the distributor cap and the butterfly. After doing this I noticed that the sticking seems to be coming from the accelerator cable... not the butterfly or anything related to the throttle body. Also the weird part is that if I let the car warm up for about 10 min... the accelerator stops sticking. Thank you for your previous suggestions, I'm sure they have improved other areas of the car, but any other guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks D.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Sometimes, accelerator cables pop-out of routing brackets. It makes a big difference in how they operate. Also, try lubricating the cable, accelerator pedal, and linkages with WD-40.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 07:19 AM
    May not be related to that at all. I dn't know the vehicle, but IAC (Idle Air control solenoids stick) used on throttle bodies. Unlikely, but it could be a temperature sensor or temperature switch.

You should be able to see the throttle stick by moving it at idle. Try disconnecting it and see how free it is. Cables stick too. Sticking might stop when warm.

Are you talking about a different idle speed or random idle speeds?
    dhodges Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Well... it sticks at different levels of idle speeds... depending on how much I depress the accelerator. The reason I believe it is the cable is because with the car off and cold the throttle body parts move freely, but when I press the accelerator... it gets stuck open. Like I said.. it's weird... once the car is warmed up for 10 minutes it quits sticking.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I would agree. Lubercate the cable with WD-40, otherwise new cable.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Get a new cable. Cheap easy fix.
    olmec Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2012, 02:08 PM
    I have changed several of these. I am not a garage but this is a common problem with this year vehicle up to 1992. Because of age the cable lubricant is no longer good. When the cable heats up after idleing a while it because more fluid allowing it to have proper RPMs and acceleration. You will need a new cable.

They are hard to find. Pioneer makes a good one but they are backordered on them since Sept. 2010 but they are estimating to get a bunch in for parts store by May 2012. The parts numbers are tricky depending if you have CC or not (cruise controls and engine size etc.)
    Mine was Pioneer part number CA8958 for a 2.2L 1990 Celica with cruise. GTS liftback. The toyota part number was 78180-2B430 if you want to spend 3x approx. more.
    Regrads Nick Patrinos Milwaukee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota Celica Cruise Control [ 3 Answers ]

The problem I am having is the cruise control will not turn on. If you turn the wheel to the left with the cruise control switch facing up it will turn on, but when it is facing the right it will not turn on. Any suggestions, or ideas of what the part that controls this on the steering column is...

Toyota Celica Body Kit [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Toyota Celica 98 model, sixth generation of Celicas. I want to "pimp" my car and add a sporty looking body kit on. Does anyone know a manufacturer/seller of body kits. Any ideas are welcome. If you have a pimped out car please post your car's photo.

Toyota celica engine swap [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the motor mounts from a 93 toyota celica gt and a 95 celica st are the same? I'm looking to swap out the motor and tranny in the st for those of the gt.

91 Toyota Celica won't start stuck in park [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a 91 Toyota Celica ST Automatic yesterday. The car drove like a top. I went to start it today and nothing. No noise. No nothing. But I noticed that it's stuck in park. Sometimes, I can get it to move out of park and move into other gears. But then it gets stuck again. I know that the...

1990 toyota celica [ 1 Answers ]

Apparently they washed the motor and now the car won't start. I changed spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor. I have spark but I tested the injectors with the light tester and I have no signal on 2 cylinders. I'm not sure if maybe the distributor went bad. I also put some starting fluid in the breather....

View more questions Search