Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    killinspiders Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2003, 10:33 AM
    Difficult surfing
    I want to know what would cause this problem:

I log on to the internet, and surf around for about 15min to 1/2 hour, everything is very, though a little slow. Then I start getting "page not found errors" and other similar errors for sites that I know exist, though I know I am still logged on. The problem is sporatic and unpredictable, but is very continuous. I can solve the problem temporarily, by shutting down completely and restarting, then logging back on. Just logging off the internet and logging back on will not work, when I do this I get "unable to connect, try again later" This happens 100% of the time!

I am using Netzero, my PC runs windows 98 with a Celeron processor.

KM
    coreybryant Posts: 134, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2003, 03:52 PM
    Difficult surfing
    How often do you clear your internet cache, run a scandisk / defrag? Do you use a anti-virus program o make sure you are virus free?

Also do you have all updates applied to your machine? What internet browser / version do you use?

Thanks!

Corey

Mar 17, 2003, 08:20 AM
    Difficult surfing
    I clear my cache only about once a month, it doesn't seem to improve the performance much. I use McAfee anti virus, which I keep updated all the time.

I doubt that I have all avaiable updates, as it takes so long to download things, I do tend to put that off. I am browsing which Internet Explorer 6.02600.0000CO.

Any ideas?
    KM

Mar 17, 2003, 10:55 AM
    Difficult surfing
    Make sure that you have all the updates installed. What about the scandisk / defrag? Also how many other programs do you have running in the background besides the AV program?

Corey

Mar 25, 2003, 09:20 AM
    Difficult surfing
    Oh Yeah,
    I run scan disk about once a week. Defreg refuses to run (another problem), It keeps freezing up or I get the message, defrag has restarted x number of times, or something like that, then it will not continue.
    I usually do not have other programs except maybe Outlook running at the same time I am on the internet, because it is already too slow. I do sometime have a number of windows open. Closing extra windows and programs usually does not help the problem.
    KM

Mar 25, 2003, 10:11 AM
    Difficult surfing
    As far as defrag not being able to run - you have a lot of programs running in the backgroun. You probably have a number of programs starting up as Windows starts. Try to shut down some of the programs also.

Did you have McAffe firewall installed at one point? Did you install or uninstall any program when this started?

Corey
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2003, 11:27 AM
    Difficult surfing
    I had the same problem when I tried to defrag. It would go up to 10% and then start over. Scan disk would shut down also. :-[ What to do? :-/ I solved my problem by purchasing a program called End It All. It shuts down programs without the hassle of doing in manually. However if you wish to do it manually it's not all that hard. First go down to your task bar and exit all the programs there. Next punch in CRT/ALT/Delete, holding the keys down. This will take you to a box that has your remaining programs. Now eliminate everything in there EXCEPT EXPLORER.EXE KERNEL32.DLL and SYSTRAY.EXE Now it will defrag with no problems ;D . Just restart your computer when it's done defragging to restore everything. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficult Question? [ 4 Answers ]

I`ve put some serious information together in that I find science, Mathematics Religion and spirituality have been manipulated. This has far reaching effects on what governments are trying to sell us as "New Technology". The basis of which is non-lethal weapon systems and mind control. Despite...

Sharing my neighbors wifi;surfing habits [ 4 Answers ]

If my neighbor allows me to use his wifi for free, can he view my surfing habits? He happens to be a computer programmer. If so, is there any way to prevent him from seeing my surfing habits? Thanks

Surfing [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to stand up on a shortboard I think its 6'3 and quite thin can't remember how thin though, I have managed to stand up on a mini mal 8' before but never a short board. Thanks Lil_AzZa

Very difficult hacking/virus problem [ 5 Answers ]

Question - Very difficult hacking/virus problem. My computer is suffering a lot of crashes etc, especially when on the internet. This is what happened... I received an e-mail said to be from paypal saying that I had been registered etc. As that wasn't true I opened it to read it. That's...

Difficult shopping for shorts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm a 16-year-old girl who has to go buy shorts this summer due to the location of a summer camp. I don't usually wear shorts, though; I have short legs with large, muscly calfs and big thighs I'm not proud of showing off. (I'm 5'3" and about 130 lbs.) But when I am coerced to buy shorts,...

View more questions Search