Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Aug 26, 2008, 10:01 PM
    College Life
    I'm in my first week of college and I'm just really feeling unstable. I miss my family a lot, but it's mostly cause I'm anxious because I feel like I won't get to spend time with them at all anymore, like I'm not supposed to. I've made some new friends, but I went to school with them... but they're new. I've talked to a lot of other people but I don't know anyone that well. I just feel like I'm not living up to expectations, not being social enough, but I don't have time because I have to study a lot. Normal?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Perfectly normal.

You'll settle into it with a bit more time, I promise. Studying is more important than socializing, but make sure to take SOME time to socialize, too, even if it's just having someone you meet for lunch in the cafeteria or something.

Some of the people you get to know in college will become your friends for the rest of your life. You just haven't met them yet, or haven't had the time to become that close, if you HAVE met them.

You'll be fine, and it's completely normal to feel the way you do right now.

Aug 26, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Whew! Thank you, I can breathe now! Just when I thought I had it all figured out it went up in flames.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Excellent answer by Synnen above! I too remember what it was like living at college in a dorm and feeling isolated and wondering if I was doing the right thing or not about studying compared to socializing and also missing the comfort and regularity of the regimen that we all have by being at home.

It will pass and you will get into a groove. Shouldn't take all that long.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 06:49 AM
    You would be shocked to know how many of your fellow freshman feel EXACTLY as you. I work at a college and have watched the freshman class come in and start classes this week. As an outsider - one that has been in the same shoes - my heart goes out to all of you.

Just make sure that you stay true to yourself in this time of settling in. You are a wonderful person, just as you are, and people will like you for you. Don't try to fit in to the crowds and lose focus of your inner-strength and character. Be yourself.

And relax. You're doing great. :)
    amermonstarsgir Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 05:17 PM
    I know exactly how you feel. Ive been in your shoes before and its hard. When I was a freshman I cried a lot because I didn't really know anyone and wasn't the popular person and things had made a big change from high school to a new school, new people, new places. Its very hard and scary. Just try to be yourself you will make new friends and keep old friends and learn a lot. If you are not the type to be very socialable then don't do it. Don't change yourself at all, people will like you for who you are. If you need to study then study and if others are off partying while you are studying take a look at the statistics of freshmen in college. Those who do not study and take it seriously drop out or flunk out. You will do great, just have faith in yourself.

Aug 29, 2008, 08:28 AM
    I've been sticking with a group of people from my high school. We've met some new people within that group though. Should I be going out to make new friends? I've met people in my classes, but I don't know them well enough to exchange numbers or anything.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 10:25 AM
    It will come with time.

If someone asks you to go hang out, and you want to get to know them better, then by all means find the time to hang out with them! If you meet someone you want to get to know better, ask THEM out for coffee sometime!

You'll get to know people from your classes over time, as well. There's no need to rush out and create a whole new group--eventually, people will come and go from several groups of friends that you'll know. Don't stress about it--just be yourself and hang out with the people you want to hang out with, and if you meet someone new you want to hang out with, add that person to your list!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

Need to change my social skills before I lose my whole college life [ 5 Answers ]

So a little background info on me... My elementary life I was always picked on because I was the only non-white kid. I'm indian. I had a small group of friends who stood by my side. Those guys are still my friends today (we're all in college now). But I remember it always took a lot out of me...

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

View more questions Search