Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malink Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 09:23 PM
    1995 civic won't start up
    Hi,

I have a 1995 ex civic with a motor from a prelude (h22). I went to school Monday and came back heom 4 hours later with no problem and the car was running a1. I parked it in my garage and 2 hours later I tried to start it up but it didn't work. I can't hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition to on. The motor is cranking but I am not getting gas. Ive tried to check the main relay wiring and the only thing suspicious is when I connect my multimter in the #6 (ignition switch) chamber in the main relay plug and ground it real good. I turn the key to start and I am not getting any voltage.

What I did so far:

-new main
    -new fuel pump
    -tired another ecu from a friends civic with the same motor

So far nothing is working and I am getting sick of it

Can anyone help me?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 06:40 AM
    . Perform tests, in Sections A and B, below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

. Test all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Clean the main ECM ground (3-wire brass connector) on the thermostat housing.

. Perform K-Test on the ECM, which may be failing.

Aug 28, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Well I did the tests... the computer is fine, the main relay is fine, the fuel pump works (I have connected it to the battery) but my problem is that bthe fuel isn't running when I turn the key to on when you see the check engine light for 2 seconds. I can hear all the clicks from the main relay (bought one 2 days ago from honda)

I doubt it could be the ignition switch because the main relay work fine and the computer to. My guess is that I have a loose wire or disconnected wire that doesn't give power to the fuel pump. Any ideas?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 08:21 AM
    If you can hear the fuel pump run, it's likely okay. Have you recently replaced the fuel filter? Check the fuel pressure at the fuel filter.

Did all of the under-dash and under-hood fuses check out okay?
    Normally, if the car passes the 3 basic diagnostic tests, you want to focus on the ICM, coil, or distributor housing (failing internal sensors).

Aug 28, 2008, 08:25 AM
    No I can't hear the fuel pump running when the ignition is on. That's the problem

-I have fire, my engine was running like a charm before the failure to start
    -the motor cranks
    -the starter works

I have no pressure what so ever (me and my friend took off the line from the fuel filter tried to start it but I didn't have any pressure)

Could a bad fuel filter cause the fuel pump not to run?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Check the ACG (S) (ALT) fuse in the under-dash fuse box. It's either Fuse No. 24 or Fuse No. 12. Be very thorough in testing fuses with a test light or multimeter.

If you jump main relay terminals 5 and 7, I bet the fuel pump runs great.

If the fuses, ECM, main ECM ground, and main relay are good, then the problem is with the ignition switch. Here's how to check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Clean the main ECM ground, on the thermostat housing, and apply dielectric grease.

Aug 28, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Real quick... its a tight fit to get there. Any tips? Should I take off the distributor

And its located near the thermostat right? Couple of inches behind it?

Aug 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
    "f you jump main relay terminals 5 and 7, I bet the fuel pump runs great." I did try that but I coundlt hear the fuel pump work (can you describe more how to test) I have another fuel pump that isn't in the car... is there a way to test it?

I tried and clean the ground but its strip there... ive move it a little bit forward and backward but the connection seems fine (1. Disconnect main relay connector. Check for continuity between BLK Terminal 2 and body ground. If there isn't continuity, repair an open in BLK wire between the main relay and the main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing. If there is continuity)

How can the ignition switch be faulty if I never had any problems with it and I can hear all 3 clicks (can it give up so easily... usually when I cranked the motor it didn't take 1 second that she was fired up)

I am about to take it to a mechanic...
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Normally, the main ECM ground is 3-wire brass connector, which is connected to the thermostat housing. Is your's like that?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Real quick, did you properly check all fuses?

Aug 28, 2008, 12:17 PM
    OK OK... I have a connector with 2 wires (black and green) and a bolt with 4 wires connectected and welded together
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Did all fuses, particularly the ACG (S) (ALT) fuse, test okay?

Aug 28, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Ye I checked them all one by one and replace those ones even if they were OK... ok can I test the fuel pump (maybe its deffective)
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 12:39 PM
    If your fuel pump really is bad, it will be the first one I have ever heard of on a Honda. They are just that reliable.

My gut is that it's a basic electrical problem, before the fuel pump. See if you, in fact, have a fuse in the ACG (S) (ALT) slot--likely Fuse No. 24. I helped a naval aircraft mechanic, Coronado, CA, where someone removed Fuse 24 on his Civic as a practical joke. It kept his car from running for a week. Humor me and make sure there's a fuse in that slot.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 12:45 PM
    The ACG(S)(ALT) fuse controls power to main relay Terminal 5. A problem here could explain why the fuel pump doesn't run when you jump Terminals 5 and 7.

Aug 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Yep I just checked and there is a 15a fuse and I changed it for a new one... still nothing.

But on the fuse cover it says (ACG (S)) and I have 2 slots for that fuse but one has a fake plastic fuse in it and I did try and put one in.

http://spoon.org/civic/pics/Interior-Fuse-Panel.jpg
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
    The focus has to be on the ACG (S) fuse. I'm concerned it's missing a fuse and you are not getting power to main relay Terminal 5.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 01:00 PM
    With the Supplemental Restraint System, it should be Fuse 24, which is the fuse on the top right of your picture.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Did you test all under-hood fuses? Since you didn't record voltage while testing main relay connector Terminal 6 (Starter Switch), check Fuse No. 31 (15 A) in the under-hood fuse box (controls power to the main relay), and also test the STARTER SIGNAL fuse (7.5 A) in the under-dash fuse box. It appears you have a power issue between the under-hood fuse box and the main relay. If all fuses test okay, examine the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 1 Answers ]

How would I tell if the ignition switch is bad?

1995 Civic EX 1.6 no start [ 5 Answers ]

Well this is getting expensive so need some other opinions. No start on my 1995 Honda Civic. Did check a few things recently and replaced a few also. All fuses check OK. Has no spark... Timing belt is in time and the valve all move as well as the rotor. Had seen in prior posts ignitor...

1995 Honda Civic won't start? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my '95 Honda Civic first wouldn't start about 2 weeks ago; it had sat for 2 days in sub freezing WNY weather (less than half a tank of gas), and wouldn't start. Battery is new and was turning, so I thought it was perhaps frozen fuel lines. I added some gas and some Gas X product, and after a...

1995 civic no start [ 1 Answers ]

Got a 1995 civic won't start. Borrowed a distrubutor from another civic started the car and drove home. Cutt the engine off and try to start the car again it won't start again. I put the distrubutor that I borrow back in the original car, and it started. So I know that the distrubutor still good....

1995 civic ex won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Please help. My VTEC 1995 civic cranks, but won't start. I just had the fuel pump, filter and spark plugs changed. I consulted a mechanic and he told me to remove the sparks and put a table spoon of motor oil inside (where the plugs used to be)! Then he said I should put back the spark plugs and...

View more questions Search