Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NNT12 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
    What's it like to be home schooled?
    I've herd of people getting home schooled and all that, and I was just wondering why anyone would want to do that. Like doesn't it take away the chance to make friends and go to dances and all that stuff that school have and home schooling doesn't?
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Aug 26, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Yes and no, some programs hold classes 1 or 2 days a week where all the kids come together and have class. Of course there is the traditional home schooling where the kids stay at home all week. I have been to private school, home school, and public school. Home schooling didn't prepare me for the social environment of the world. But my parents kept me active in sports all year and church 2 or 3 times a week. There are solutions if you look for them.

Each type of school has its own pros and cons. If you are willing to home school it can be a good thing even if it isn't permanent. The biggest advantage is being able to learn at your own pace, which could either be slower or faster than the average student. By 6th grade I had started taking college level courses. Even in private school that wouldn't have happened and certainly not at public school.
    newtech2007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 10:04 PM

I was just wondering why anyone would want to do that. Like doesn't it take away the chance to make friends and go to dances and all that stuff that school have and home schooling doesn't?
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Sep 23, 2008, 06:03 AM

Quote Originally Posted by newtech2007
    I was just wondering why anyone would want to do that. Doesn't it take away the chance to make friends and go to dances and all that stuff that school have and home schooling doesn't?
    Many parents prefer a more active role in their child's education. School is not the only place to make friends and many home school programs include one or more days where kids meet together to learn different subjects.

A school's environment or “culture” is much different from the real world. It is not uncommon for kids to do very well in high school and drop out of college. Then there are kids who barely graduate high school and do exceptionally well in college.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 01:56 PM

Actually, that's really untrue in my case! We have a group of homeschoolers, about 100 families in the area. We hold homeschool prom, dance, parties, high school banquet, and an actual graduation ceremony where you graduate with your class. The classes are generally small. My class will be between 30 and 50 seniors. But prom we do the same thing- food, drinks, music, dancing, decorations, lights, we usually rent out a fancy hotel or resort to do it too. Plus, there's also classes that are held, annual meetings, and tons of other stuff. And just like public school, there's the popular kids, the jocks, the girly girls, ALL the usual cliques, and you make tons of friends.
    DaseEngle Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 08:41 PM
    My parrents tried to home school me but they got tired of it and that was it for me I mad it to the 6th grade and now that I'm 19 I realywant to get my ged and go to collage and start my life but I need help :/ I've been looking for almost a year now and I can't find anything that I can afforde and make time for
    momoffour5 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Home schooling allows each student to progress at their own pace and pursue special interests of study. I am a certified teacher who taught in a public school for 14 years and resigned my position to homeschool my two youngest sons. We have been successfully homeschooling for five years now. My sons are active in sports and youth group activities. There is also a homeschool support group that I have started so we can go on field trips and work together in cooperative learning activities. Homeschoolers are often top achievers who learn how to work and research independently and cooperatively . Both my boys do not want to go back to public school and many of my former students have asked if I could homeschool them too -there is just so much peer pressure today along with drinking, drugs, etc. Hope this helps since you were wondering what its like.:)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2009, 06:43 PM

Hoemschooling allowes you to go at your child's pace. It's a great idea if your child is behind, or far ahead of the other children his/her age.

And no I don't feel it takes away from social life if done properly, when I was homeschooling my duaghter we met 3 times a week and often on weekends with other homeschooling familys in the area. As well as my non homeschooling friends too.

But it can be done WRONG unfortunately and I have seen it doen wrong. My aunts children are poorly adjusted, have no friends, and are basically shut ins.
    bulksalty Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Feb 11, 2010, 02:16 PM

I homeschooled for two years while our family was moving (we built our house that year too). It was a lot like school, especially since I took two class at school (biology and jazz band) and played sports (football and tenis). Washington has very open home schooling laws.

There was a home schooler's group that organized field trips once a month, and cheap bowling on Thursdays.

As part of those trips, I met one of our state senators, and helped out with a campaign stop, learned how a fish hatchery and newspaper worked, made it to the state finals in science olympiad, and flirted with the home schooled girls.

Oh and I learned everything about building a home, but that wasn't part of my classes.

I took a correspondence english, used the same math book as the school, and didn't really need a lot of geography (I won a state competition in cartography).

So homeschooling is definitely what you make of it, but if the parents are focused it can be a very rich experience.
    BIGMAMA56 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3

Oct 9, 2010, 04:00 PM
    Comment on BlakeCory's post
    We have just started homeschooling.I am grandma raising 2 grandchildren 1loves school gets along well with others a joy! The other is failing through the cracks,is in 4th gr. Barely reads had seizure surgery and I am hopeful,this is the only way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's a good home made facial? [ 3 Answers ]

Can people ples giv me sum recepies for home made facials! Retail one are so expensive and don't even wrk!

What's the simplest way to add my parents to the deed to my home. [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting divorced and my husband will be executing a quit claim deed removing himself from the deed to the home. I want to add my parents to the deed with me as "joint tenants with right of survivorship". What options are available that would be practical and economical. Thanks

Home Schooled for 1 yr so that my child can be held back [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter is one of the youngest in her class. Her Birthday is in late November. She was 4 when she started Kindergarten. At the time we thought it was a good idea to start her in school. However, now we think that it wasn't such a good idea after all. She is 9 years old now and should be in...

Getting a divore what's mine and what's not? [ 3 Answers ]

Been married for five yrs two kids one is 4yrs and the other is 1 ,got a house 1 week before we got married and I never got my name on put on the deed.but have been helping with the mortgage the whole time,she makes a lot more money than I do and I also caught her in an affair with her ex...

Home schooled: credits for college? [ 3 Answers ]

Im homeschooled, this is my senior year, I would like to know how I can obtain credits for Collage, does anyone know anything about it? If you do please can you help me with some information please?

View more questions Search