Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Success growing orchids
    I was just wondering if anyone has had success growing orchids. I can grow anything, literally, but for some reason once my orchid blooms die, I can never get it to bloom again.
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Doesn't anyone know? :(
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:42 PM
    They like bright light,no cooler than 40 degrees,moist soil and fertlize monthly. Mine will bloom heavily and last approx 4 months from first to last. It then rest for as much as 2 years before reblooming. Do not plant in a overly large pot. I really enjoy mine and have a few that seem to all be blooming in different stages
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Not bloom for 2 years? Maybe that is my problem... I don't have patients (or is it patience)?

I have them in an orchid mix, keep them moist, new leaves form, but no sprouts. I am baffled. I can revive any dead plant, but can't seem to re-bug orchids. And I love them.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Unless you have a greenhouse they do take a while indoors. Try placing some sheetmoss on top of the soil and have patients. If you are getting new leaves, you are doing something right. Also, after they have bloomed, DO NOT cut the stem off. Let it do it's own thing. Good luck
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 08:12 PM
    I was told, by whom I don't remember, to cut the stem off. What about watering?
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
    PS You have so many post. How in the world do you have the time with being a nurse? I enjoy helping folks on this forum, but there are only 24 hrs. in a day. You really do such a good job
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Make sure there is drainage in the pot and keep moist. The sheet moss will help with this. I was a Florist for 35 yrs. But have now moved on to other occupations
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2008, 08:44 AM
    I have lived in a orchard all my life it will usuley all depend on where you live and what you are trying to grow the reason for no blooms is usuley the trees were duds and you will need to re plant this happens a lot and other reason can also be that they froze and well the other reason would be all depending on where you live the soil conditions fertilzer you have used and what your are trying to grow may not be actabile for the climet you live in
    Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Meag, thanks for your advice, but my orchids have nothing to do with climate. These orchids are indoors. I have them in my kitchen where they get the morning East sun.

You made me chuckle here... You lived IN an orchid all your life? :p
    I have lived in a orchard all my life
    Thank you for the compliment...

PS You have so many post. How in the world do you have the time with being a nurse? I enjoy helping folks on this forum, but there are only 24 hrs. in a day. You really do such a good job
    I only work 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts. I'm basically on here when the house is clean and the kids are at school during the other 4 days I'm off. ;)
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Sorry it said orchard so didn't relize it was in doors as most times an orahcrd would be out doors and yes live in a orchard litlery orcahrds around here surround your house onley one side is not orchard and that would be your road you live on other then that there is an orchard all around you even trees growing in your yard so yes that's why I put it like that all houses around here are like this
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2008, 09:12 AM
    meagank, I'm confused
    Expert

Aug 30, 2008, 09:22 AM
    meagank, I am confused as well. It's not an orchard but and ORCHID! A flower.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Culture medium of Orchids. [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Colleagues, I am T.Lakshmi narayanan working as a Teacher in an International school in Jakarta, would like to know the culture medium of Orchids in Laboratory (eihter organic or inorganic fertilisers). Any one of you can suggest me...

Success-if that's what it is [ 1 Answers ]

Got a kick out of this al-AP article in my paper today: Success - "if that's what it is." LOL. There is more to the article here, but that's what was in my paper. So how about a change in slogans for the Associated Press from "the essential global news network" to "News - if that's what it...

Success is [ 1 Answers ]

At Age 03... Success is... not peeing in your pants. At Age 06... Success is... finding your way home (from school) At Age 12... Success is... having friends At Age 16... Success is... having a driver's license At Age 20... Success is... having sex

Is knowledge success in itself? [ 11 Answers ]

My question is what is the importance of gaining knowledge, without any materialistic interest, and just for the sake of gaining knowledge. If a very knowledge able person has no wealth, fame, power and any other materialistic plus point, still can he say that I'm successful just and just because I...

View more questions Search