Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gg23 Posts: 72, Reputation: 12

Aug 26, 2008, 01:05 PM
    $10,000 gift. Want to make it grow. I am 27 yrs.
    OK my question is how I can make the most of the money I have. $ I have 10G and I would like to invest it for long term. The saving I have now they have cd raging from 3.75. For 6 months to 4.00 for up to 60 months. I mean I know that once I have it locked in a c.d. I will be locked in that one rate. On the other hand I am worried that if the interest rate happen to be increased, then I would end up losing money if I am leave it long term. I mean what the trend the rate? Does it have the tendency to fluctuate upward or downward? ( I mean I guess it depends on a lot of other factors) but would it be a mistake to invest it in a cd if I am getting 4% for 60 months? And how does the tax apply?? do I get tax from it?
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Aug 26, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gg23
    ok my question is how i can make the most of the money i have. $ i have 10G and i would like to invest it for long term. the saving i have now they have cd raging from 3.75. for 6 months to 4.00 for up to 60 months. i mean i know that once i have it locked in a c.d. , i will be locked in that one rate. on the other hand i am worried that if the interest rate happen to be increased, then i would end up losing money if i am leave it long term. i mean what the trend the rate? does it have the tendency to fluctuate upward or downward? ( i mean i guess it depends on a lot of other factors) but would it be a mistake to invest it in a cd if i am getting 4% for 60 months? and how does the tax apply ???do i get tax from it?
    You should invest in a bunch of different financial vehicles. Don't just put the whole ten grand into one. Some investments can be risky, but they have a higher rate of return than the traditional cd and savings accounts. It is never too early to start a retirement fund. You should really be speaking with a financial advisor about this. Be very leary about anyone trying to entice you into their investments. Such as movies, music, new inventions, etc.

Good Luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 01:37 PM
    If youi are looking at this for a long term investment you should consider a mutal fund that is spread out over a wide group of investments.

CD seldon keep track with inflation. If you are looking for it as retirement income, even funding the max each year into a tax deffered plan
    azif Posts: 96, Reputation: 22

Sep 25, 2010, 05:31 AM

It depends on how long you are planning on investing the money for and how much risk you are willing to take.

Eg. If you are planning on leaving it for 5+ years and can tolerate market movements consider an index fund.

Mutual funds you should be careful of high fees

Different investments will be taxed differently.

As mentioned earlier a financial adviser will be most helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I make my hair grow faster? [ 24 Answers ]

I recently made a very stupid decision and cut my bangs VERY short. I look like a five year old! Is there any cheap way to make my hair grow faster? I desperately need your help because school is coming up and I want to make a good impression. Any Ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated!

How to make your hair grow faster [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make your hair grow any faster? I've been on a few websites but the things they say is a bit bizarre so I'm not sure if I'll do it.. e.g. mayo in your hair for 45 minutes twice a week or using pet shampoo.. so does anyone know? :) Im up for any suggestions but the mayo and...

Is there anything that can help me make my fingernails grow? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any product that really helps nails grow? I'd love to have long nails but only natural ones will do. Thanks

How can I make my hair grow faster? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me how I can make my hair grow a lot faster? My hair is just above my shoulders and I would like it just below my shouldrs... is that possible? If so will please answer me because I would like my hair longer. Thank you --Miss_clumsy

How do I make my hair grow faster? [ 3 Answers ]

That's what I need to know... my hair is just above my shoulders and I want it just below my shoulders do you have any herbal remedies that will hep my hair grow a lot faster?

View more questions Search