Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teacher4564 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Nursing versus Teaching?
    I'm currently a teacher working in the elementary grades. I'm also single and in my forties. I made a career change a few years ago, so I haven't been in teaching more than five years. I really enjoy teaching and especially working with third graders. I can honestly say it's rewarding. However, I'm teaching in a state with one of the lowest teacher pay scales. I work many more hours than I should just to keep up with the demands of teaching. The pay isn't very good, and I'm required to continue my education without the increase in salary! I've been thinking of another career change into nursing for several reasons: better pay, more job opportunities, better benefits, etc. Do any nurses or others have suggestions or advice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Well I am going to be blunt teachers salary have not gone down in the last 5 years, the work a teacher did 5 years ago is the same as today. So if you were not going to be satisfied with the income why did you go to school and get the education for it?

I would recommend doing some non paid work for a hospital or nursing home to see what type of work they really do and see if that is something you could do.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 02:58 PM
    As just an observer, I would say that the levels of responsibility are similar for both professions, but nurses do very stressful work with no room for error. And I believe the pay for nurses is better.
    I think that your best move would be to find another jurisdiction for teaching, that pays better but try to find one that will give you retirement credit for what you have earned.
    But, if you really have your heart set and can swing it and think you will be up to the task, go for nursing.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Us nurses get paid far better than teachers. I am a nurse and my MIL is a teacher, my starting pay was almost equivalent to her pay prior to retirement.

I will say though that it is a very demanding job with a LOT of stress. We have no room for error (medications that could kill) and we are basically the doctor's "eyes". We are expected to know our patients and their ailments with minimal education compared to the doctor. Basically, in my unit, Labor and Delivery, we do all the work and the doctor gets all the glory.

Yes, the pay is great, but you have to get through nursing school first. That is a major feat unto itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing care plan with priority nursing dx [ 1 Answers ]

I need a priority nursing diagnosis from the nanda list for this patient. Patient c 92 yr old fell medical dx of C4 fracture and patient has a possible broken arm that patient can not move. Weight 75lbs.has neck immobilizer on, foley cat in, IV in with ns @ 75 cc/hr. on bed rest total care patient....

Teaching vs. Nursing [ 11 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what is involved in becoming a nurse or a teacher. I have always wanted to be a teacher but everyone seems to be trying to drscourage me, saying there are no jobs for teachers in this state (mi) and that with the nclb law it's a lot different. ...

Teaching in the USA [ 2 Answers ]

Hi gyus, I am a qualified Teacher of Secondary Mathematics in the UK would I be able to teach in the USA and how do I do it. Many thanks Louay

Teaching in the USA [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, don't know if you can help me on this, but I'll give it a shot. Im an American citizen living in Australia (11 years in September). Im currently in my 2nd year of my Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of English double degree:when Im done, Im a qualified teacher! Question: Do you think...

The Joy of Teaching [ 5 Answers ]

Then Jesus took his disciples up the mountain and, gathering them around him, he taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven Blessed are the meek Blessed are they that mourn Blessed are the merciful Blessed are they that thirst for justice...

View more questions Search