Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbsrab Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Courier service
    I want to open up a courier company, and I want to know every I need to know on how
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
    What scope? Local messengers or city to city or what?

Aug 26, 2008, 02:17 PM
    I want to start going about 50 miles in any direction

Aug 26, 2008, 04:32 PM
    That's a pretty large scope. Do you think you can compete with the USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL etc?

The first thing I would do is try some market research to see if there is a demand for that service in your area. Next check with the local chamber of commerce to see if there are any licensing/bonding requirements (there probably will be bonding).

Finally, you have to try getting some customers lined up to use your service.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 02:37 AM
    It would also help us here to know more about what you might be wanting to deliver. Being a courier could involve delivering any number of things, some of which might not be allowable to be delivered by the major courier services.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    That's a pretty large scope. Do you think you can compete with the USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL etc?

The first thing I would do is try some market research to see if there is a demand for that service in your area. Next check with the local chamber of commerce to see if there are any licensing/bonding requirements (there probably will be bonding).

Finally, you have to try getting some customers lined up to use your service.

No I don't want to compete with UPS and the likes. I just need to know how to bill and quote.

I would like it carry any thing from 1-lbs to 50-lbs
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 09:45 PM
    For billing and quoting, I would look to see what another service might be charging per pound and also what they will be charging depending on the distance that is traveled as well as what they charge depending on how quickly a customer wants something delivered.

You really do need a business plan for this sort of thing. As such, there is a lot of information out there on the Internet concerning starting a courier service. You might like to click on the following two links and have a look.

Courier Service Requirements Business Plan - Google Search

Courier Service - Google Search

I do wish you well in starting this kind of business!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:08 PM
    You will need to determine how much you will be charging per mile. Any gas surcharge?
    If you will be charging for 2nd stops and how much.
    If you are going to have a base price for the first parcel and how much for additional ones.

Will you be willing to tender packages at the local airports? Then FAA requirements will have to be met.

What hours will your company be available?

What type of contact will the customers have with you, will you have a dispatcher, or will they be contacting you directly? Will you receive your jobs via fax, computer, or phone,pager... if phone I suggest recording the info... but first you must inform them you are recording the job.
    Many people do not want to pay for the job if instructions are not followed.

Will you have other employees if yes, then your charges need to reflect that so that you can make a profit and still pay them

Most of the larger delivery companies do not work after certain hours and on Sundays are you willing to pick up their slack.

Many,many things to think of other than billing and quotes...

Aug 28, 2008, 06:01 AM
    I would also consider gretting Quickbooks (or similar) to manage the services books. QB can do invoicing as well.

Sep 9, 2008, 07:44 PM
    I just want to thank you all for your great answer, so keep them coming, again thank so much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Universal air courier [ 6 Answers ]

Is universal air couriers a real business in the uk?

Courier & Hot shot [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all my names Jason and I am just starting a courier & hot shot company in edmonton Alberta I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to getting companys to hire my service and any other advice towards starting a small business If anyone has some words of wisdom or advice it will be...

Universal air courier [ 3 Answers ]

Is this a real business in the UK?

View more questions Search