Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkeyblossom Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 12:20 PM
    My spaniel has a chronic ear infection, but its growing weird thinds
    My cocker spaniel Nike is having another problem:( He’s had this chronic ear infection for years… but yesterday, it appeared that there were 3 spikey things about a centimenter in length (yikes!) growing out of his right ear canal. They look like the ends of toothpicks but they are not stiff like toothpicks, but spongy like skin tissue… At first (now this is gross) I thought they were dead worms coming out of his ears, but after further inspection, I think they are growths coming from the skin of his ear canals. I don’t know what to do with them. Today I’m going to try to pull at them with a tweezer (if Nike is cooperative enough) and if I can’t seem to do anything on my own, I just might have no other choice but to take him to Dr. Jones again. I wondered if they were twigs or something lodged in his ear, but they are colored like skin tissue. I know it sounds disturbing—the imagery is disturbing. He is otherwise behaving fine, excited about eating and going outside, etc. But I wonder if he’s in pain and just dealing with it.

Do you think they might be skin tags?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyblossom
    My cocker spaniel Nike is having another problem:( He’s had this chronic ear infection for years… but yesterday, it appeared that there were 3 spikey things about a centimenter in length (yikes!) growing out of his right ear canal. They look like the ends of toothpicks but they are not stiff like toothpicks, but spongy like skin tissue… At first (now this is gross) I thought they were dead worms coming out of his ears, but after further inspection, I think they are growths coming from the skin of his ear canals. I don’t know what to do with them. Today I’m going to try to pull at them with a tweezer (if Nike is cooperative enough) and if I can’t seem to do anything on my own, I just might have no other choice but to take him to Dr. Jones again. I wondered if they were twigs or something lodged in his ear, but they are colored like skin tissue. I know it sounds disturbing—the imagery is disturbing. He is otherwise behaving fine, excited about eating and going outside, etc. But I wonder if he’s in pain and just dealing with it.

Do you think they might be skin tags?

I would definitely not pull at them with a tweezer for fear they are attached to the dog and, if they are, pull loose and begin to bleed, to say nothing of the pain.

My Lab developed something similar. The tissue was an overgrowth due to his chronic ear infections and so he had surgery to open up his ear canal and we never had the problem again.

I've had Vets tell me dogs with "flap" ears are prone to infection because the ears get no air circulation; I've had Vets tell me dogs with stand up ears (I have German Shepherds) are prone to infection because they get too much air circulation.

And then you get into the whole allergy issue -
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 27, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Sounds like skin tags, but I agree do not try to remove them. Do you place your Cockers ears in a scrunch or flip them when sleeping? That is an easy way to get oxygen flowing and cool the heat and help dry the moisture. One client had a Bassett and that enough to take care of the problem once under control. (Of course a natural food.)

Dogs that come to our clinic due to chronic ear infections are usually eating 1 of four major brands, all of which are poor ingredients. We treat the ears with strict instruction to change food if they do not want to keep spending money with us and their dog be in pain. I'd say about 99 out of a 100 have the problem solved by the diet change.

Aug 29, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    I would definitely not pull at them with a tweezer for fear they are attached to the dog and, if they are, pull loose and begin to bleed, to say nothing of the pain.

My Lab developed something similar. The tissue was an overgrowth due to his chronic ear infections and so he had surgery to open up his ear canal and we never had the problem again.

I've had Vets tell me dogs with "flap" ears are prone to infection because the ears get no air circulation; I've had Vets tell me dogs with stand up ears (I have German Shepherds) are prone to infection because they get too much air circulation.

And then you get into the whole allergy issue -
    Thank you, thank you for your support and advice. It means a lot, and I happen to agree after reading your post-- tweezing is a very bad idea; they do look like outgrowths, and I'm sure tweezing would do more harm than good.

Nike thus far is behaving quite his usual self, I'm relieved to report. I've just spent more than a thousand dollars on his recent hospital stay and medications, so I'm going to postpone any surgical procedures until I see that his behavior has noticeably declined, or until it becomes apparent that he is in pain, or if the condition gets worse (blood, too large, etc.). I continue to clean his ears daily and keep an eye on the growth to make sure it isn't increasing in length/ size.

Thanks again for your thoughts and sharing your experience and knowledge. I truly appreciate the support :)

Aug 29, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    Sounds like skin tags, but I agree do not try to remove them. Do you place your Cockers ears in a scrunch or flip them when sleeping? That is an easy way to get oxygen flowing and cool the heat and help dry the moisture. One client had a Bassett and that enough to take care of the problem once under control. (Of course a natural food.)

Dogs that come to our clinic due to chronic ear infections are usually eating 1 of four major brands, all of which are poor ingredients. We treat the ears with strict instruction to change food if they do not want to keep spending money with us and their dog be in pain. I'd say about 99 out of a 100 have the problem solved by the diet change.
    That's sounds like a great idea, thank you! I will try a scrunchy on Nike tonight, but I wonder if he'll try to remove it simply because he isn't used to wearing one.

As Mother Nature would have it, Nike is a very sensitive dog, and he has been on a special diet of sweet potato and duck for almost 8 years now. He is very allergic and I've managed to keep his skin rashes at bay by feeding him only Natural Balance's allergy formula of duck & sweet potato. Every now and then, I prepare my cocker spaniels meals from only whole foods; e.g. brown rice, steel cut oats, steamed broccoli and veggies, boiled potatoes; and they also love treats of raw celery, carrots, cucumbers, bellpeppers, bananas, apples, etc. I do avoid onions, grapes, and raisins. I recently went back to Natural Balance because I became concerned about their protein intake, especially that they are both now in their golden years. I also supplement with the Missing Link.

Thank you so much for your support and advice. I try my best to keep my animal companions healthy and happy, and the comments on this website are not only helpful and practical but offer emotional support as well. Thank you.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 01:36 PM
    monkeyblossom, FYI I have also read that apple seeds are very toxic to dogs.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 29, 2008, 02:46 PM
    You are a great pet owner!!
    Yes Nike will probably try to remove it but keep trying!

Rememeber when you have a dog that is allergic to many things it is best to only add one food for a few weeks before adding another new one. I recommend and like that food.
    Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Question about Springer Spaniel [ 2 Answers ]

My Springer Spaniel is 11 years old. The past year he has developed these lumps all over his body. Some are small nodules and other were small fatty tissues and now they have grown very large. We take him to the vet periodically and the vet has said as long as they do not fester or bother him leave...

Chronic Yeast Infection/Vaginitis [ 3 Answers ]

To break it down, about a year ago I started take Minocycline (sp?) for adult acne. Shortly after that I got my first yeast infection ever. Not long after that I stopped taking it to avoid future yeast infections as that is a common side affect. A few months later I started taking Ortho-tri lo...

My 12 yr old spaniel will not eat or drink anything! [ 7 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel is 12 years old, male- and has a fatty tumor (size of a golf ball) on the left side of his body around his knee socket. Our vet said it was harmless and removal for it is not necessary until it starts putting pressure on the rest of his organs. However, my dog has barely eaten...

Cocker spaniel [ 2 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel is whinning, shakeing and when you touch his belly he will curve up and I notice his eyes have a thick soultion running down his face please tell me what is wrong with him

Very Restless Cocker Spaniel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old Cocker Spaniel, he has been very restless for 2 days now. I am not sure what could be wrong, He won't stay still long, I haven't seen him sleep either, except when he is laying across me. I think he maybe constipated. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

View more questions Search