Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bardos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2006, 05:11 AM
    Mains electricity question
    Hi all,

I live in spain where the electricity mains are 220V 50Hz. I live about 400 metres from town and have a cable which contains 2 wires with a diameter of 10 (not sure what the ten stands for) that runs to my house and delivers mains current. I supply the third ground wire at site with a buried copper pole.

Recently I have been experiencing problems when running a high amperage device. For example, when I use the oven or the 1 hp water pump, the voltage will drop to below 200 volts. The local electrician recommends that I change cables and use 3 wires with a rating of 25 in copper (or 50 in aluminium) to bring the electricity, still at 220v. Could anyone explain to me what this means in layman's terms? I had thought the three wires would mean 380 volts, but he says no, it would still be at 220v. How could this help? I know that with a thicker cable the voltage drop would be less, but could someone explain about the three wires?

I hope this is coherent.

Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2006, 09:20 AM
    I am not sure if the electrician is proposing using three wires for 3 phase, or a neutral or euipment ground, most likely the latter.

Really depends on the local system you have.

The important issue to to install larger wires, as you state, will reduce voltage drop.

Delivering the 380 V to the home, and then transforming down to 220 volt may be a solution, but does not seem to be what he is planning.

Also, if you can incur the cost, will definitely be better to use copper for the new wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much electricity does a house need? [ 11 Answers ]

How much electricity does it take to power a house with all of the modern conveniences? I am building a rural home and would like to consider alternative power sources. To have AC, heat, a refrigerator, TV, and all of the things we use on a daily basis. What sort of ampage /voltage/wattage does a...

Electricity Consumption [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was on holidays and surprised to see our electricity bill. My wife told me that mostly our bills are double to the bills of our neighbours and relatives. We are getting bills of double the amount of many of our neighbours and relatives who are using the same number of lights and...

Electricity in aircraft [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: One of the characteristiscs of the electric current used in major aircraft is its frequency: 400+/- 10 Hz. What happens if I connect any device that uses 60 Hz like cellphones battery chargersk? Is this bad for the component?

Problems with electricity... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an electricity problem at home. Actually we are shifted to a totally new area and in our block, only we are connected to the transformer. There are no other houses in our block and the area is empty. But even we are the only users of the electricity, we experience power shortage. When...

Disconnecting Electricity [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving a manufactured home... I know that I must hire a licensed electrician to reconnect it to the new locations pedestal but do I need a licensed electrician to disconnect it from the old one after having the utility company shut the power off?

View more questions Search