Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 09:24 AM
    How many cops?
    Hello:

The cajoler asked how many convicted felons there are in these good ol United States. Got me to wondering...

How many cops are there? While we're at it, how many different federal police departments are there? Which ones? I'll bet you can't name 'em all.

excon
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 09:49 AM
    I am not sure why it matters. Enlighten me...
    Aren't there more criminals than cops?
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    I am not sure why it matters. Enlighten me....
    Aren't there more criminals than cops?
    Hello start:

I don't know. Are there? If there's more cops, it matters a whole lot. That's why I'm asking.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Heck, for that matter aren't there cops that are criminals too?
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:02 AM
    There are lots a cops, that doesn't mean every "bad-doer" is going to get caught!
    Sheesh, where was a cop when I needed one, or didn't need one.:)
    J, you have a very good point there.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:12 AM
    663,535, I just looked it up and that is how many police officers are around us...
    I can't find out how many criminals are here... I just know that some are criminals, some are done being criminals, and some are yet to be...

What exactly is a criminal... my nieces new husband just got kicked out of the military for paintballing more than a few houses, out of that many, one of them decided to press charges against the young men. I wonder if I will ever be able to really call him a criminal... nope, I won't!
    But down the road somewhere there is someone stealing boats and causing havock... I suppose I could bring myself to say he/she is a criminal.
    I don't know, I am just thinking out loud here...
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Hello again:

I'm not making any judgments or political statements - yet. I just wonder how many there are, that's all. You're sounding quite defensive there, start.

Ok, I guess what I'm getting at, is that in my view, once a police force grows bigger than the crime problem they were hired to solve, they're going to be looking for innocent people to lock up. I'm just wondering if we're there. Or if YOU think we're there. Or, how many cops it will take to be there? Or we'll NEVER be there no matter how many cops we have, because cops are the good guys.

excon
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:13 AM
    According to this site:

Police Department, Law Enforcement Agency, Police Officer, FOP, Laws & Codes Links from Officer.com : Officer.com

It looks like there are 3874 different police organizations. But the same site says there are 4623 in the US... somebody failed math!

The short answer is, bunches.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:16 AM
    No, sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way, I was just wondering exactly what you wanted to know and why?
    I just feel as if everything, our gov, our police, our state services, and all the little things in between are so corrupt and so outlandishly getting away with it, it starts to make me sick, as if nothing even matters cause its just a bunch a bull anyway!
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Ok, I guess what I'm getting at, is that in my view, once a police force grows bigger than the crime problem they were hired to solve, they're going to be looking for innocent people to lock up. I'm just wondering if we're there.
    excon
    I think the issue is more complicated than that. In some areas there are more cops than criminals. So, yes, they harrass innocent people to justify their jobs.
    In other areas there are not enough police to handle the amount of crime. Ironically the high crime areas seem to be the areas in which police salaries are lower.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Hello again:

Some of you who know my stance on cops in general might be surprised to hear that I think MY local police force is pretty good. The guys I'm talking about have regular uniforms.

Of course, we too, like lots of police forces these days, have a squad of jack booted thugs. That's why I asked about their uniforms in an earlier question. I think they're related.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:30 AM
    excon agrees: It IS. But, WE can fix it - you and me!

Can you tell me how, I would do my part if I knew what the hell to do.

I don't work in a donut shop, but I do feed many police officers lunch. You get to know the "cocky, I am above all the rest", the "polite do gooders" and the I am just going to follow everyone else" cops.....I have to admit, I see a lot of good cops, but the bad stick out like a sore thumb!

Starting with the most recent of conversations, I asked why he could park where no one else could, he says...."would you like me to have to walk across the road to get to my car in an emergency or would you like me to flash out of here and just jump right in? I said that's all well and good, but what happens when the emergency is here and we need that spot for the firetruck instead of your emergency? He took his lunch and left, haven't seen him since. I kind of felt bad, but then again thought I had a valid point.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:33 AM
    And then there is the lady cop, her and a another guy were talking about what they could do to just talk to the "bad"guy instead of taking him in. They were trying to figure a way out of having to turn this guys life upside down, I thought it was a good discussion and commended them for it!
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Can you tell me how, I would do my part if I knew what the hell to do.
    Hello again, start:

I'm just American enough to believe that voting counts. In these days of the internet, I believe PUBLISHING counts even more. And, that's exactly what we're doing right now.

We TALK about the issues. You'd be surprised how many people read what we write. Most of them don't comment. But, if it makes somebody think about some issue WE raised... Then that's all we can hope for. No, we ain't going to change the world here. But one vote at a time is better than NO votes.

Sure, they're not going to listen much to a guy like me. They KNOW where I stand with the cops. But, a middle America lady like you, who thinks they suck, is a LOT different than me.

So start, THIS is what we can do, and you do a fine job of it too.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I am one of those ones that read and am not obliged to comment on most. I sit and read the political board and these law boards. I don't know enough to state facts, just know how I feel on a daily basis. I get confused, some of my views interlock with the opposite ones. On this thread, I agree there are good and there are bad. But, our wold without them... I just don't know. We definitely need law and order, but sometimes it just seems as if it isn't law and order. It is merely a mess!
    Thank you excon, I am thinking...
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
    excon agrees: maybe doughnuts soften the brain
    Krispy Kremes right off the conveyor belt certainly do. :)
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2008, 12:00 PM
    No idea, being that I'm in the UK... but surely there has to be more criminals than cops, I know in the UK... although they would tell you different... there aren't enough police,so there has to be more criminals than police here.

In fact our crime rate is high, because we have run out of room in the prisons more often than not criminals get a lighter sentence, rather than a custodial... there's just no more room.

Thinking about USA a little more, it is a huge country, so maybe there are more cops than criminals!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I get so sick of hearing the they are only doing their job and the 'thug' musta deserved what they got!
    I see too much to begin to even believe that. Moon, Pa. police are the greatest and in fact the older ones go out of their way to not get anybody in trouble. But seeing and hearing as much as I have I know the bad cop is increasing in leaps and bounds way too fast.
    They not only think they are above the law they have the law back them up.
    When my boyfriend got stopped in May for legally using his high beams his public defender even said, "You have a case but for you to pursue charges against the police it wouldn't be worth the time and lawyer fees and who does the Judge side with anyway?"
    The Police know this so they get away with murder... even literally at times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can cops pursue? [ 7 Answers ]

Are cops allowed to pursue motorcycles in the state of virginia?

Top cops episode [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for an episode from "Top Cops" a TV show from the eighties or nineties. This episode featured "Eddie" from "Leave it to beaver" He was a cop and was shot at several times.

Cops in movies [ 2 Answers ]

I watch a movie the other night and I want to know what it was called. It has a cop with a guy it he is trying to get the guy to testify in court and other cops are trying to kill him he steals a bus and he finally gets down to the court to testfiy to the DA Can somebody help me out

Cops are stupid [ 2 Answers ]

Okay last night there was a road check stop thing so I pulled over and automatically took my seatbelt off cause it's a habit and he gave me a ticket for it and wouldn't even tell me till after he gave it to me. I had two other people in my truck with me if I fought this could I possibley win?...

Cops mess up bad [ 1 Answers ]

This morning on the way to work I got pulled over. The cop said he ran my plate number and he said my license had expired. I just got my license in march. I guess he couldn't read because right on my lic. It said it expires to 2008. They impounded my car. I lost a day at work. Cause they messed...

View more questions Search