Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skunkman44 Posts: 76, Reputation: 5

Aug 26, 2008, 02:46 AM
    Building an outdoor wood oven
    I don't know if this is the right section to ask this. I want to build an outdoor wood fired oven. The kind that you see in about every culture. It can't be that expensive to do. You can see them even in the most primitive and poorest of areas of the world. I want to bake bread, pizza and cook other things in it. I looked online but what I found was special bricks and stuff that cost money. I don't have any money for this project. I can get plenty of bricks and blocks from Craigs List for free but I don't know how to build it. Does anyone know how? Does the oven need to be domed? The oven shouldn't need special fire brick because a small village in Batswana, India, China or New Mexico wouldn't have it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 04:35 AM
    Shell Lake's outdoor clay oven

This website explains how to make an outdoor clay oven, very basic and probably much older in use then anything else you can think of. Good luck. This would interest me as well !

Aug 27, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I think I have a problem with build an oven out of clay because I don't have any clay. I have a sandy loam soil. Maybe a high temp concrete that I can mix with it. Is there such a thing? I lived at a house once that the whole yard was clay. The last house I had a limestone out crop and blocks everywhere. I wish I had thought of it then.
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 07:45 AM
    No, you couldn't mix a high temp concrete with sandy loam to take the place of clay. You would have to buy the clay. I guess you are going to have to buy some fire bricks and use what you can get cheap.

Aug 27, 2008, 12:58 PM
    I found a great website that is just what I was looking for. MHA News - 2007 Meeting at Wildacres and The Brick Bake Oven Page
    Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Great site ! I am glad you found something you can work with. The pics even look like Lapeer, Michigan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor wood/coal burners [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have any opinions on outdoor wood/caol burners... are they worth the money that is initially required . What would be a good brand name that would be worth pursuing if I decided to acquire one. Thanks

Building outdoor fire pit [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of building an outdoor stone fire pit using local stone, which I have gathered around the property. This fire pit is going to be 2 feet high and about 2.5 feet in diameter. Are there certain type of stone I should not use and do I need ventilation holes at the base of the pit?...

Rot on outdoor wood stairs [ 3 Answers ]

Where is the most likely place to find rot on wood stairs?

Outdoor Wood Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have several questions regarding an outdoor wood furnace. I know there is a "special" paint used on these, that is "normal" to throw off a smell. As well as some "light oils" used in construction. We are having the problem that the house is getting smokey, and that smell is strong. How long...

View more questions Search