Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Computer_illiterate Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Computer says I have no modem HELP!
    When I reinstalled the windows 98, I lost my modem. I don't know what this means but when I tried to connect to the internet it said I could not because I did not have a modem.. I do have a modem disk but when put it ni the computer, nothing happened, and so I went to my computer and clicked it manually. When I did this it said I could not install it because no modem was found. What has happened!? And how do I fix it! Please help anyone
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2006, 03:36 PM
    Browse through the files on your modem disk. Look for something that's called "setup " or "install" and double-click on it to attempt to install the drivers for your modem. I'm assuming you didn't remove the case and play around inside your computer.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2006, 05:14 AM
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE, and when I have to do a complete "delete and install windows", I have to set up my dial-up again, choosing which modem I want.
    I have both the computer's internal modem, and the Creative Modem Blaster, external. I use the External modem, cause it seems to be faster.
    This may or may not help, but worth mentioning. I assume you have dial-up networking?
    From the desktop, open My Computer. Then open DialUp Networking. You have to click on "Make New Connection", and during the install, it asks for the modem you want to use, then set all the configurations for it again.
    I hope this helps. When re-installing Win98/98SE, all the dial-up configurations have to be re-set, plus any email configurations, etc, along with TCP/IP.
    Best wishes.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 27, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Turn off the system and remove the modem.. then boot up... after booted up go to shut down system then reinsert modem... win98se will see new hardware and try to find drivers for it... from there use your disk and reinstall driver... win98 is picky sometimes... good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need dsl modem help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm planning on getting a dsl modem connection for my room know how would this thing be set up in my room I already have a phone jack in my room which I don't use atm could I use this or would some guy come in amd make a new one

Cable Modem [ 8 Answers ]

Can a cable modem be connected to any wall jack that a TV works in any room? Or does the Cable modem need to be isolated back to the coax coming in from the street and a special splitter needed. Thanks

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Atech Modem ATS-260 [ 2 Answers ]

Just finished installing a new HD on a Gateway 2000 with a WIN 98 SE for an OS. Having some problems finding a driver for the modem. I have been to windrivers and driverguide. Driver guide appears to have the driver but almost impossible to gain access to the site without going through there...

View more questions Search