Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jibrael Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 11:40 PM
    200 amp main panel: 2 100 amp subpanels?
    I was asked to by a homeowner to help with a wiring project. She has 1 200 amp main panel and 1 100 amp subpanel. Both are full yet she needs more circuits for a bed n' breakfast. Can another 100 amp subpanel be installed?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 03:05 AM
    Yea, but I think it's time to do a load calculation and determine if a service is required. Say go from 200 A to 400 A.

If the utility offers it, it can be done, such that there are two disconnects outside that feed two 200 amp panels.

What happens when everyone uses their hair dryer at once and there is cooking, heating/cooling and hot water heating going on?

If it's a few circuits and the panel is full, there are ways of adding separate circuits in the full panel as long as there are "poles" available. The number of poles the panel supports should be on the panel. Count the wires going to the breakers that will be the current number of "poles". The difference is the number of wires that can be added.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

Secondary panel from main panel electric [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use a number @2 aluminum ser 4 wires for a 100 amp sub panel?

Breaker size in main panel to support sub panel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a sub-panel to the outside of my home (50 feet from main 200 amp box). I ran 3 wire - 6 gauge. What is the largest 2 pole breaker I can put in the main panel to supply the sub-panel. TYPE NM-B 6-3 WITH GROUND 600 VOLTS CIRTEX-I EZ-STRIP (R) PLUS 17:11 2/5/07 SB/RC ...

Main panel and sub panel breakers [ 1 Answers ]

I inspected a sub panel fed with a number 4 copper cable. The main panel breaker was a 90 amp breaker, but the sub panel breaker was a 100 amp breaker. Is this OK?

Main Circuit Panel to Branch Panel? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello experts, OK... My Main Load center in my home has a branch circuit connected to a 60 amp breaker. The branch feed wire is a 4awg copper wire. The branch panel is downstairs and it has a 100amp main cutoff breaker installed in it. It feeds the whole downstairs including... (1)...

View more questions Search