Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strugglingDad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Sign child rights away in CA?
    Do I still need to pay for child support if I signed my rights away in CA?
    maje3 Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2008, 07:08 AM
    No. Are you signing your rights away so you won't have to pay child support?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Hello Dad:

You can't just sign your rights away. You also can't avoid your financial obligation to your offspring. It's YOUR kid. Who do you think should support him?

Plus, you pay child support so your kid can eat. You don't pay it in exchange for visiting time or the lack thereof.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2008, 08:47 AM
    I moved this to the Family Law forum where it belongs. There are hundreds of threads in this forum dealing with this same issue. Bottomline is that courts are very reluctant to grant a TPR. Generally they are only granted to clear the way for an adoption or if the parent is a danger to the child. They are never granted to allow a parent out of paying support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 09:55 AM
    OP did not provide enough info, if the other parent has a new partner and that partner wants to adopt, yes you can give up your rights and don't have to pay child support.

Normally in any other agreement you will still pay child support
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Have you already signed your rights away or are try not to pay child support and think signing your rights away would alow this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maje3
    No. Are you signing your rights away so you won't have to pay child support?

The question was whether the OP still has to pay child support if he signs his rights away - your answer ("No") is incorrect.

He can't sign his rights away unless there is someone willing to adopt the child and if he somehow just cuts all contact he still owes child support.

Aug 26, 2008, 06:35 PM
    If he cuts all contact he still owes the child support but if he signs away his rights he still has to pay child support?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:40 PM
    If he cuts all contact he still owes the child support but if he signs away his rights he still has to pay child support?
    Hello m:

Yup. If he does it (which he can't legally do), he get's nothing and loses everything. Not a brainy thing to do.

The only way he WON'T owe child support is if the child is adopted.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:42 PM

Yes - someone has to support the child other than the Government. The mother doesn't have to pursue child support if it is paid directly to her but the father will be ordered to pay it.

If you have a source which says otherwise, please post it.

In order for the child to be adopted the adoptive parents have to be in a marriage of over one year - in most States.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:45 PM
    There are only a few states in which child support stops if a TPR is granted and California is not one of them.

Aug 26, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I assumed the child was being adopted in the original question. I have to say to Con I really appreciate your first response about child support being paid so your child can eat and not about visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sign over rights and not pay child support? [ 2 Answers ]

I found out a year after my son was born that he was mine. So I had to start paying child support and back child support. Then she was calling wanting me to be in his life so I said yes. She called the law and said I was going to cut her and the baby's neck so they put an order of protection were I...

The father of my child wants to sign his rights over because he don't want to pay [ 5 Answers ]

What do I have to do to stop that from happening

How would I go about getting the father of my child to sign his rights over? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old daughter, and we live in Texas. When my daughter was 6mos. He decided being a father was too much an left to IL. I don't ask for child support, I have done it on my own and now I would like to just consider it his loss and remove any rights he may have. How would I go about...

How do I go about having the father of my child sign his rights away? [ 2 Answers ]

So I am a single mother, my daughter will be 2 at the end of December. Her father has not been here the whole time. I have been doing it on my own. I get 150 dollars a month child support but I would gladly give that up to have him sign his rights away. I know that if I were to come to him with the...

How do I sign away my rights to a child in Texas? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old that I know nothing about and she has a step parent figure in the picture who would adopt my daughter. How do I go about doing it and who is finacially responsible for it?

View more questions Search