Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcporter75 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Social Security
    My daughters boyfriend has not lived with his mother for about a year now, he is still in school and has stayed with his cousin. The school has his address as his cousins house, and his mother has signed gardianship papers stating she is his legal gardian. Today he told me that he collects social security benefits and has since he was little. His mother collects them. He gets 50 a month and nothing more from his mother who is collecting 600 a month on him. None is even given to his cousin. Is this legal for her to be collecting his social security??

And he just turned 18 the other day, do the checks now come in his name or is there something that he needs to do to get them in his name.

I live in Pennsylvania
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 03:42 PM
    If he just turned 18 I'd say he needs to march himself down to the SS office and see what's what.

Do you know what he's actually receiving benefits FOR in the first place? Did he have a parent pass away or something? Or is he disabled somehow?

If you feel like he needs help, take him down there. You usually have to wait a while, but they'd have the answers he needs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Why is he collecting social security,? Since most kids don't
    Is he collecting it for him, or is he collecting it for you or his mother condition.

But the boy needs to talk to the social security office about his benefits
    mcporter75 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 03:54 PM
    He told me he is collecting it for a disability, From what I gather he took a test at the school that determined he was able to collect it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcporter75
    He told me he is collecting it for a disability, From what I gather he took a test at the school that determined he was able to collect it.

This is not how it works - minimally there has to be an application for benefits.

As everyone has said, he needs to go to SS to find out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social Security [ 2 Answers ]

I'm legally blind. I was actually born completely blind and although I gained my sight. My retina never developed and I was considered legally blind by the state. I'm not able to drive.. etc. I was on social security. They weren't giving me much so I was also working so that I could pay for my...

Social security tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment. I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and...

View more questions Search