Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shellwaldron Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Do it yourself tail banding
    :confused: I would like to know if I can do my own tail banding on my 1 week old litter of boxers without creating a infection
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 25, 2008, 04:13 PM
    HOLY COW! Of course not!

Docking involves the amputation of the puppy's tail either with scissors or a knife. The cut goes through many highly sensitive nerves in the tissues including skin, cartilage, and bone. This procedure is usually performed without any anaesthetic at between three to five days of age.

There is considerable scientific evidence that docking can lead to complications, including occasionally death of the puppy. In later life the stump of the tail may be painful due to the formation of neuroma (nerve tissue scar) in the stump. This also occurs following amputation of limbs in people and causes considerable discomfort.

Next it is illegal in some states (NC for one) for reg people (not vets) to do this procedure.

Think about placing a band on you finger and see how long and painful it is... not to mention infection! The puppy has a fully developed nervous system and a well-developed sense of pain. While the puppy cannot tell us that it is in pain, many biological markers show that pain is occurring.

I can't tell you how many times an animal comes into a vet clinic or humane society with infections from breeders trying to do the jobs themselves. These pets suffer short-term and long-term.

Please leave veterinary medicine to the veterinary profession.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Tail banding simply put is abuse.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Aug 27, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Most people don't realize that tail docking (by whatever method) involves cutting through the spinal cord! It's a risky thing to do for a cosmetic purpose. I think the best description I've heard is "elective mutilation"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Won't Clean His Tail [ 4 Answers ]

We have a black short-haired cat named Heini who's approximately 6 months old. For some reason he won't clean the upper portion of his tail. It seems like he can reach but just doesn't. I've managed to brush it out some but it's very oily and the fur is beginning to plate. Should I bath him...

What is tail banding? [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: I recently inquired about a puppy from several breeders. One of the questions I asked was if there tails were docked ? I had several tell me that they banded there puppies tails and that it caused less trauma than whacking it off at that vet. I know from experience that having a litter...

Tail chewing [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 month old beagle mix chewed half of his tail off tonight! I don't think he broke the skin, just almost all the hair that he could reach. It looks like someone took a razor to it. Help, please; any ideas as to why he's doing this and what I need to do in order to stop it? Some background...

Fan tail [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Me and my girlfriend have just got a 25 gallon tank and got a couple of fan tail fishes 3 weeks ago. We have just got back and found one dead and the other one is looking ill. We have treated the water for chlorine and have a filter in it which we bought new. I am just wondering what...

Tail on shrimp [ 6 Answers ]

What is the etiquette for eating tail on shrimp?

View more questions Search