Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakiahmed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Two moons On 27/08/2008
    What will be the effect of mars that is being near to moon on 27 the August 2008 at 12.30 am. Is some mishappening will be there on the earth. It will be seen as two moons in sky on the said date.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Hi. This happened on August 27 2003, Mars came closer to Earth than it had for the past 60,000 years. It appeared as a bright star, not a moon. Nothing noticeable happened except that Mars was brighter in the sky than normal.

In fact, on August 27 2008, Mars will be really rather faint. It will not appear like a moon at all.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 07:54 AM
    The size that an object appears is measured in degrees of arc in the sky . For example, the angular size of both the moon and the sun are approximately 1/2 degree across,so both appear to be about the same size to observers on earth - although the sun's diameter is 400 times larger than the moon, it is 400 times further away, hence has almost exactly the same angular size to us. As for Mars, on its closest approach to the earth it subtends an angle of about 20 arc seconds, or about 1/90 the angle of the moon. So it does not look to observers on the earth like the moon at all.

As for the effect the gravity of Mars might have on earth - its minuscule, at least compared to the effect of the moon or sun. You can roughly compare the pull of gravity from two objects of similar composition as the ratio of their angular sizes cubed times the ratio of the distances. The moon is 90 times bigger angle in the sky, and is about 1/240 times the distance, so its effect is 90^3/240 or about 3000 times stronger than Mars at its closest approach.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Hint: Don't believe everything you read in chain e-mails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do the moons on your fingernails mean? [ 14 Answers ]

Hay this may sound really weird:eek:... but I've been trying to find information on the moons on your fingernails:D . I'm not sure exactly what it means so can anyone out there help me please? I'm not sure if they are a good thing or not. :confused: Haylz

Finger nail moons [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what itmeans when your toe nail and finger nail moon get bigger and the nail is pale. The moons on my nails have increased to cover over half of my nails now. What causes that?

Moons rotation [ 14 Answers ]

I have a question about the rotation of the moon. Does the moon acually spin like the earth or does it just stand still, forever illuminating the sky with the same side that we see every night?

Moons of jupiter [ 1 Answers ]

Can I see the 4 moons of jupiter by a 30 mm telescope in thecity light?

View more questions Search