Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cyt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Leaking Tub and gopher under slab
    HELP!! Our bathtub shower has started leaking and the water is running into our sons room onto his carpet. His room is located next to the bathroom, but not next to the pipes! The plumber is stumped! He cut a hole in our daughter's wall (which is next to the bathroom and the pipes in the tub). He discovered that her wall was filled with dirt from a gopher! He dug out a wheel barrell FULL of dirt! YUCK! Anyway, he had tested the shower before that and it didn't leak! Then he tested it again and watched for leaks in the pipes and it didn't leak! Our daughter has showered in there 2 nights now and it hasn't leaked again! We don't know what to think! The times it did leak last week, it got our son's carpet and padding soaked! We had to dry them out with fans. It also leaked a little bit in the vanity area of the bathroom, which is adjacent to his room. We think it might have just come in from his room. We don't know which end is up - and neither does the plumber - any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks! p.s. this tub is all one piece kind and house built in 1978, if this helps any.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2006, 09:16 PM
    There is not much you can do until you know exactly where the water is coming from. I would test each fixture separately, run the tub full of water and then drain it, all the time watching for water to show up somewhere that is does not belong. Then use the shower with someone in the shower, splashing water on the walls of the shower inclosure, if you have soap dishes make sure you run water around those. Malke some water go over the face plate covering the overflow of the tub. All the time watching for water. Run water in the bathroom lavatory, run this water for at least five minutes. Then flush the commode several times.

I don't know what kind of shower curtin or door you might have but what ever it is as you are splashing the water around in the shower look at each end of the tub for a small trickle of water running down the tub, you may need a flashlight for this to see any water if there is any. Good luck.
    cyt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2006, 05:22 AM
    Yes, thanks for good advice. We have tried all of these and narrowed it down to when the shower is running. However, when the plumber came out, there was no leak! And none since for us. It's kind of like when your car makes a strange noise and then you take it in and the mechanic drives it and it doesn't make the noise anymore! It is so frustrating!! I pray we get to the bottom of this as we would all like to have our lives back that don't revolve around a leak!! Hey, thanks again - good advice. We may have to go back to square one and try it all over again!! Take care, C

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking drain pipe in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe coming from my sink that is backing up into my kitchen floor. It seems that has ate away at the concrete and the water is backing up through the damaged pipe through a hole located under my sink and bottom cabinets. I can see the where the water is coming out but I don't know...

Shower on slab [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a walk in shower on a slab foundation. How do I connect the drain to the toilet?

Slab, First time [ 1 Answers ]

I am an owner builder just north of Crystal River in Levy Co. The plumber that was going to do the ground works for the house has left to care for his family what lives in Mississippi, said he won't be back for at least a month. I have called around I can't find any other plumber to take the job. A...

Installing tub on slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am redoing my bathroom and need some help with installing my tub. How will I be able to connect my drain, after I put the tub down? I am on a slab, and there are walls on three sides of the tub. I am assuming the previous homeowner did the connection when the wall wasn't up.

Re:tub on the slab [ 1 Answers ]

Tom, thanks for your help. I am understanding that I would just leave the horizontal run of pipe into the 14"x14" hole and that would leave me enough room for the rest of the plumbing, correct?

View more questions Search