Ask
    lamika26 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Ex Felon wants to go to school
    What kind of careers can an ex felon attain
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Once a person has served their time and has completed probation or parole he or she can apply for jobs just like everyone else. The barriers that might be encountered to employment could involve the reason the person was convicted. For example, someone convicted of a crime involving stealing money may have a real problem getting a job that involves handling money for a company; someone convicted of an assault of some kind, and maybe even because of having been convicted of a felony of any kind, may be barred by law, from seeking education as well as employment where the care of adults or children is involved.

Much depends on the laws where a person is seeking employments and the nature of the conviction.

What was the nature of the conviction and what kind of employment is desired, please?

Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lamika26
    what kind of careers can an ex felon attain

Depends on the type of crime and whether a professional license and/or bonding is required. There are some professions where you cannot be a convicted felon and get a professional license; for example, in most States you cannot become a nurse or Pharmacist, involved with prescription drugs with a drug felony.

In fact, in NYS you cannot become a licensed Pharmacist with any felony conviction because you cannot pass the background check. I am aware of someone who lost his license based on a DWI conviction.
    lamika26 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Thanks for the info, the person I know is interested in becoming a firefighter, can he do that with a drug felony thats7 yrs old.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Thanks for the info, the person I know is interested in becoming a firefighter, can he do that with a drug felony thats7 yrs old.

I have no idea what type of background check is done - is there a firefighter school?

Check with the civil service commission or whoever does the hiring wherever he wants to work.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:02 AM
    The person I know is interested in becoming a firefighter, can he do that with a drug felony thats7 yrs old.
    Hello lam:

I'll bet he can... Maybe the first job won't be in a major metropolitan market, but once he gets some experience, he can move up.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a felon get a grant to go to school? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm rather new to the site so bear with me.. I am a convicted felon still on probation and due to my charges jobs aren't really to keen on hiring... at least good jobs anyway.. all I'm trying to do is straighten up my life and go to school I am 21 and have no post high school education.. I was just...

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

School grant to go back to school [ 3 Answers ]

I am a single 48 yr old lady and I don't have mean to just go back to school but I work as a nursing asst but would like to know how to go back to school is there any grants that will help me do so?

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Home school vs. Public school? [ 53 Answers ]

My husband and I have decided to home school our children because we do not feel that the public education systems are very good these days. When we were in public school the teachers spent more time trying to control and disipline the class or individual students then they spent teaching. I also...

View more questions Search