Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwb1057 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2008, 11:56 AM
    How Accurate are they?
    This morning, I took an hpt. Well, it came up possitive. It is 4 days till AF is "supposed" to visit me. So I was just wondering how accurate is the possitive? I've been waiting for this day for quite a while LOL. At least that's how it feels, it's really only been a few weeks since ovulation!

I'm just wanting some advice :-) thanks!
    sharmi Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 01:11 PM
    From my knowledge, you could get false negative but never heard of false positive. If you want, give another test to make sure! Good luck.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Its pretty rare to get a false positive (usually from a result of medication being taken or a very early miscarriage, rather then being a actual false positive reading) You have to have hcg (pregnancy hormone)present in your system in order for the test to show up positive. Its much more common to get false negatives, as a result of testing too early, before enough hcg has built up in the blood system to be detectable by the test. If you want to be sure of the test results, wait until the day of your expected period. If it doesn't come, test again, using first morning urine. OR go to your local hospital and ask for a qualatative blood test. These typically cost no more then the average pregnancy test (about $11 dollars) and are more accurate then hpts. However these are not without margin of error as well, just less then hpts. (oh, and the tests that they take at doctors offices, are the same tests you buy at the store) It sounds as though congratulations are in order. Good luck to you!
    joanne 1986 Posts: 165, Reputation: 7

Aug 25, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Hpt are mostly 99% accurate,if your unsure of your result take another test in a few days! Sounds to me though that you are pregnant as I've never heard of a false positive.
    Congrats and good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How accurate are ultrasounds? [ 17 Answers ]

So when I found out I was pregnant and went to my first obgyn appointment, I was told I was 7 weeks. Well awhile later I experienced some bleeding and went to the E.R and with my calculations I was 10 weeks at the time. Everything turned out fine, but the ultrasound people told me I was barely 9...

Solution that I believe is more accurate [ 1 Answers ]

Sir I want to know about the codes to create a scientific calculator in vb.net with examples

Are scan dates quite accurate [ 15 Answers ]

I had a scan on the 7th of December and they told me I was 18 weeks and 1 day pregnant after the nurse took measurments of the baby! Is this right or am I 16 weeks? And if I was 18 weeks and 1 day is that the day I conceived? Please help me :)

Is this accurate? [ 14 Answers ]

I'm asking both here and Christianity, 'cause I'm not sure where it belongs the most. Anyway, the movie The Kingdom of Heaven is coming on Wednesday night on AMC (I think). I was just wondering if anyone's seen it, what they thought, and if it was historically accurate at all. Thanks!

View more questions Search