Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Fluorescent vs Incandescent wattage
    I am replacing some lightbulbs in a ceiling fan, and the fixture says to use 60W max bulbs. When I was at the store recently, I saw some fluorescent bulbs that I would like to try. But here's the question: Fluorescent bulbs are always rated at a lower wattage for the same amount of light. For example, a replacement for a 60W bulb is generally 13-15W. So, can I go up to a brighter bulb, so long as the wattage stays under the 60 watts? Or would it increase the amount of heat, and potentially damage the fixture? This is the kind of fixture where the bulb is concealed behind a bowl, so air circulation is limited. Here's a picture of a similar model, to give an idea of what I mean: Hampton Bay
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Aug 24, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Yes, 60 watts is 60 watts. You will be fine in uping the wattage of the fluorescent. The lower wattage equates to less heat, so you could easily use a 100 watt equivalent flouresent which would be 20-25 watt actual.

Morrowrj
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Is it a remote fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit wattage [ 6 Answers ]

I am new to this website - excuse any errors. My question: I.m remodeling & wiring my basement and looking for wattgage limitations on 15 & 20 amp ckt breakers. AJD66

Wattage maximum? [ 2 Answers ]

Stupid question: I just installed a bathroom vanity light that has 4 bulb sockets. The packaging all says that it "uses 4 standard base bulbs, 75 watts maximum." Is that 75 watts x 4 bulbs? Or 75 watts for all bulbs in total?

Wattage Output! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. Im currently looking for a h-fi system that will play both CD's and also that will play and dock my iPod. Now I have found two that I like but I'm confused about the wattage. My problem is that the first system claims to have 50 watts output power and sounds good. And is £100 The...

More wattage then recommended? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a light fixture that has 2 sockets. Each socket has a sticker stating a maximum of 60 watts per. What is the risk of pushing that with 2 75w bulbs or 2 100w bulbs? I am pretty sure that there is significant margin in their specification, I just don't want to push it too much! By...

Fluorescent and incandescent recess lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 recess fluorescent lights controlled with 2 3-way switches. Can I add a incandescent recess light to this circuit? Thanks

View more questions Search