Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike28honda Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Well pump lost prime
    Yesterday I had no water so I shut off the pump.noticed the inlet pipe from well was leaking.so I fixed it .I'm trying to prime the pump.iopened the bolt on top about 5 times.I have low water pressure but my tank feels empty.the air pressure on the tank reads 30lbs.how long do I have to wait for my water pressure to get baack to normal?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Hey Mike,
    iopened the bolt on top about 5 times.
    Are you saying that you porimed the pump 5 times and still no water? When you filled the impeller cage to prime the pump did it hold water or just drain away? Back to you, Tom
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 24, 2008, 09:05 AM
    It sounds like you adjusted the jet screw. I would recommend that you put that back to its original position. That is what controls the pump pressure internally. It is important that it is set correctly.

To prime the pump, you should have just removed a fitting on top of the pump.. a gauge, or a plug, or a spigot, and poured water down into the pump. Let it "burp" and keep adding water until the pump housing is full. Then, put your fitting that you removed back in loosely. Open some spigots after the tank, or on the house so you can watch it build up. As soon as it is coming out of those spigots steadily, close them up. Then tighten the fitting you removed to prime. It should be okay.

If it doesn't start pumping steadily within a minute, shut down the pump and try the procedure again. Letting the pump run for more than a minute or so can cause damage to the pump.

Keep us posted.
    Al

Aug 24, 2008, 09:17 AM
    The water I poured in didn't drain out.I did take a small bolt out right by the inlet because the primer blot broke.I drilled a hole in it and used a magnet to get any metal out of the pump.anyway I took the small one out to see if it would prime.I know dumb but I don't much about these.the pump just keeps running with only a small amount of water.a friend said something about a foot valve could this be it.

Aug 24, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Yes, it could be a foot valve, or there could be holes in the drop pipe down in the well. Can you either give us make and model # of pump, or post some pictures? That way, we can give you more accurate advice.
    Al

Aug 24, 2008, 09:36 AM
    It's a wayne and it's over 15 years old.I forgot to mention that when I take the primer plug out water sprays everywhere.I am going to cut the line before my tank to see if maybe there's a blockage.be back later.

Aug 24, 2008, 09:39 AM
    If it sprays everywhere, you're on track... check for a blockage. Maybe a gate valve has a gate stuck closed. If the handle just spins, and never stops when you're opening it, it is a sure sign of a "dropped gate". Also, you could have a check valve jammed closed.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to prime a jet-pump [ 3 Answers ]

How do you prime a jet-pump

How do you prime a pump? [ 5 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to prime a sprinkler pump the right way? I have 2 cut-off valves on my system. The first one leads to the pump, and the other valve leads to the cylinder shaped thing with the five tubes on it... My question is: do I close the 2nd valve and open the first valve to let water...

How do I prime a well pump [ 10 Answers ]

We have been without power for over 10 hrs and now I have no water. I was told I need to prime the well pump but I don't know how. I have never had this problem before. Can Anyone one help. The holding tank is inside the pump its self is out side.

Well pump will not prime. [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Recently I had a break in my water line going between the well pump and the pressure tank. It happened over night while I was asleep. When I awoke I heard the well pump running in the basement. When I finally went to inspect it I found my basement completely full of water. ...

Pump prime [ 2 Answers ]

I lost my prime on the pump for my home well. My question is how to prime?

View more questions Search