Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbteeitup Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 03:34 AM
    Replace Fan Blower Motor
    I just bought a 10 year old GMC truck. The blower will operate intermittently. I am assuming the problem is not in the control knobs, etc... but instead I suspect the motor itself is worn out.

Can you give me any advice on changing the blower motor? Is it a DIY kind of job? How do I remove the plastic case so that I can get to the motor?

Thanks,
    dbteeitup
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 04:03 AM
    It probably depends. I fixed a blower on a Toyota. What happened was as the temperature got colder, the friction mount caused the blower to slide out of it's mount and stall. I could push the motor back up and it would work for a while and did it again. There was a factory fix but the part was no longer available when I had the problem. The stalling wore the brushes.

I could pull the motor without dissassembing the dash. I was lucky. I had the entire dash out in that vehicle in the past when I installed the airconditioning system from a box.

Instead of replacing the motor, I made a bracket and visited a vacuum cleaner store and found brush material I could use. I then filed the brushes to fit and soldered it in place. The brushes were like $2.00.

If it works on high speed and not the lower speeds, the blower resistor is bad. I have to replace one in a 2000 Chevy.

It is very simple. You have a mutiposition switch that selects a resistor or no resistor and a motor. Unfortunately, the problem your describing could be any one of the above items although I might suspect brush wear.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Aug 28, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Pretty easy job,there should be I believe about 8 5/16 or 1/4 bolts and the blower motor pops out,there is one plug in that runs the blower motor.When the blower stops and you wack it does it run again?If so the motor is shot.The motor should be on the passenger side under the dash,you don't have to rip the dash apart to get at it,pretty easy spot to get at.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I replace my ac or get a new blower? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Trane furnace that's 90% efficient. It's probably 7-10 years old. It is making a buzzinng sound when the blower comes on for the air conditioning so the ac guy said it needed a new blower and maybe new bearings. If the unit is on the older side - he said it would be around 1000.00 to...

Replace wiper motor [ 1 Answers ]

Do you know where the wiper motor is located on a 2000 ford explorer sport

Replace blower cord [ 1 Answers ]

Replace blower cord

Ac residential fan motor replace [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace my fan blower motor on my janitrol ac unit, but I don't know how to re-wire it. The replacement 220 motor has 4 wires instead of 3 like the old. It has an extra brown wire with a white strip, the old one has one red, one black, and one brown that connects to a 3 post round...

Need to replace combustion air blower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Comfort Air furnace. The "Fasco" combustion air blower is making a noise when starting up and running. I want to replace the whole unit. Does anyone know of a reputable online dealer to buy it from?

View more questions Search