Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 10:53 PM
    AMD Athlon XP vs. Celeron 2.0
    I have two desktop systems.

One is a Gateway 300s. The My Computer Properties for it say it is a Celeron 2.0. The website says I could upgrade the CPU to any P4. The max memory on this unit is 1 gig, and I have 768mg in there now, so not a lot of enhancement space there.

The other computer is an HP d325 Microtower. It has an AMD Athlon XP processor, also supposedly rated at 2.0 ghz. This unit can be upgraded to 2gig of memory.

Both units appear to use the same memory speed.

So, in a nutshell, I only need one desktop. Which would be better to keep?
    • The AMD Athlon XP unit with some more memory
    • The Gateway as is
    • The Gateway upgraded to a P4

This is purely a home desktop system, no major gaming or anything, just want to get good performance for 3-5 more years.

Suggestions? How does the Celeron 2.0 actually compare to AMD Athlon XP?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 22, 2008, 11:15 PM
    AMD without stuttering.
    The Celeron CPU where designed for office/business use and as such are cheap and under spec'd.
    The comparison between the two would be like Apples and Oranges.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Yeah. I thought so. I could sell/donate the Celeron unit, or cannibalize it to expand the HD and memory of the AMD. Ponder, ponder...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP Brio D9840-60001 Celeron [ 1 Answers ]

I have a HP Brio Celeron 733 MB # D9840-60001... that will not power up. I hit the power button, it turns green, as long as you hold it in. It does a High/low sound fast several times, then pauses, Then it Beeps twice about 1 second each time. It won't power up. I checked all cables,...

Solaris and AMD64 Athlon/GigabyteK8Triton [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I bought an assembled desktopn system comprising Gigabyte K8 Triton Motherboard, AMD 64 Athlon Processor(2800+) model,512 MB DDR, 80GB HDD, ATX Cabinet and other necessary things. Now what I would like to know is: 1. Can I install Solaris OS on this System? I tried checking the AMD site...

View more questions Search