Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtischler Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Young adult dog pooping in crate
    I have a beagle/maltese mix that is about 2 1/2 years old. He will occasionally poop in his cage during the day when we aren't home. He recently started doing it every day. We have removed everything from his crate because we're tired of cleaning it up when we get home from work. I don't feed him until after work so that he won't have as much to poop. I walk him for about 40 minutes every morning and make sure he poops before he comes home. So, he's tired and he's already done his business. Any thoughts as to how to correct this very annoying problem?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Does he get enough time with you out of his crate - play time, social time, etc. Is he in his crate 8 hours a day? He could be acting out and unhappy with his situation.

Aug 24, 2008, 01:04 PM
    He spends all of his time outside of the crate with us. He is in it for 8 hours during the week, but he does it even when we leave him for an hour on the weekends. I think he is getting plenty of exercise. I walk him for 40 min. every morning and for half hour or so almost every evening.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Hi gt, can't rule out the medical aspect then. But he could be still acting out. You just have to put on the thinking cap and find out why. Normal routine not to his liking, changes, etc.

Seems to me he has a pretty good home life then. Don't they all ? You just have to read between the lines as I do with my big hound. I honestly think I can read her mind and honestly think she knows what I say to her. We have been together l3 years and I have never had a bad moment with her.

I am just saying it's a grab bag. I do know that when they sit in front of you with their tail wagging, trying to get your attention with eye contact, that it really means something and if you have spent a lot of time with your dog, you will know what it is.

When my Schnauzer got old at l5 and she sat in front of me one day, and I know she wanted to get up on the sofa with me and cuddle, I said, no Tessie not now and then that night I put her to bed in our bed and she had a seizure and was never the same after that. You see, I knew what she wanted, me to love her she knew she was feeling poorly.

No what I am saying ?

Aug 25, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Hmmm. I'll have to think if anything has changed in his routine. I can't think of anything off hand, but you never know what little thing can be a big thing to a dog. I may check with the vet and see if there might be something medical going on. Although, I have a hunch it's behavioral. I think you're right that I need to put my thinking cap on and try to figure out what he's trying to tell me. A friend suggested getting a Kong toy filled with a treat for him to "work on" when he's alone. He may just be bored. Who knows! Thanks for giving me some ideas to think about. I'll let you know if anything turns out working. Thanks again!
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Good ! I am glad you got something positive out of the suggestions I gave you. They are like children at times and you just have to learn how to read them. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pooping in the crate [ 1 Answers ]

My puppy is 16 weeks old. He is doing great in housebreaking but when he's in his crate he poops and pees. We have taken him to the vet about the frequent urinating and he was on some meds. For a UTI. The meds are gone and he's still peeing a lot in the crate but my main concern is the pooping...

Pooping in crate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,I have an 11 week old bernese mountain dog whom we purchased at a pet store.He is having difficulty with pooping in his crate.We took him to the vet the day after we got him because he had runny diaherra with mucus and blood in it.The vet did a test on his poop and he had coccidia.He was treated...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old Boston terrier who still pees and poops in her crate. I am ready to go out of my mind with the smell and the inconvenience of cleaning it everyday. She goes outside before she goes to sleep and doesn't eat after 5:30pm. Not only does she go in her crate but then she eats...

Pooping in Crate [ 14 Answers ]

HELP! I have an 8 week old Rat Terrier who poops everyday in her crate while we're at work... by the time we get home, she has played in it so badly that we have to give her a bath and wash all her toys and towels from the day. How will she ever learn NOT to do this? Everyone tells me that once...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

View more questions Search