Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misadiett Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Dui fines
    Hi I got a dui in 1999 I was 20 at the time. I spent two days in jail and was released after I went to court. This is the only time I've been in trouble before and still to this day. I pleaded guilty for charges of driving under the influence, driving on a suspended license, giving false information to a police officer, and having false identification. Ok, so I did my 30 days of swap and classes but what's left now if my outstanding fines, which is 3500.00. My fines are at a collection agency. Its been close to seven years since this all happened. And its been that long since I haven't had a drivers license. I got a letter from the dmv stating if I pay my fines I can get my license back. That's the only thing keeping me from getting it back. Well I just had a baby one year and a half ago I'm 26 now. I moved back home with my mom because me and my daughters father split up about a year ago. He doesn't help financially and pays the min. of child support $150.00. I'm on welfare and pretty much stuck. I really need my license back but I don't have $3500 nor will I anytime soon without a job. Because of my baby its almost impossiable to work without a car. I have a car but no license. Is there anything the judge or court will do in situation like mine. Some fee waiver or write off? I'm not on probation anymore its just the outstanding fine! If you could give my some advice or tell me where I could start I would appreciate it. Another thing I don't have a lawyer and cannot afford one. I do things myself and enjoy it but I just can't find anything about this. Could I qualify for expungement?
    Thanks, tia
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2006, 03:39 PM
    You can go to the court and ask for a hardship licence, it is basically a order from the judge allowing you to drive only from your home to your work place and is normally specific at what days and time you can be on the road.

Next you can work out a payment plan with the collection agency (maybe depending on state) and they allow you to get your licence back dependent upon you keeping the payments up.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2006, 09:10 PM
    As Fr Chuck said, you can file a motion with the court to see a judge about getting a work permit or restricted license. The thing is, they may want you to be on probation while you have it and your time on a misdemeanor has run out. That idea is a long shot at best but still worth a try. Go to the legal aid office and speak to a free attorney. Since you are on welfare their office should have that info. The thing is, when it comes to the courts, attorneys, (judges) and money, they tend to be hard lined. Did you know that copper wire was invented by two attorneys? It happened quite by accident while they were fighting over a penny! :p Any way give it a try and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Son needs help with court fines. [ 2 Answers ]

My son, recently married and a new father ( and step father to two children) has made some really BAD financial decisions. He was in trouble with the law in his younger days, spent time in work release, and when he was released, he still owed huge court fines. He got married to a girl that had two...

View more questions Search