Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 24, 2006, 11:11 AM
    DSL speed test upload/download
    Ok, so I have DSL through the ISP I work for at home and I did a speedtest at speakeasy.net to see what my download/upload speed is... why would my upload speed be less than my download speed. I thought for DSL your upload speed is supposed to be faster than your download speed? I know at work when I do this test, my upload speed is much faster than my download speed, but we are on a T3 connection here.(I think.) :confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Because at home you have the most common implementation of DSL which is ADSL (asymmetric digital subscriber line). It's asymetric because download speed is higher than upload speed. Typically the home user spends more time downloading than uploading.

More here (scroll down a bit) : http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...5_top1,00.html

At work you have a full-duplex network setup for fast data transfers to and from your PC.
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 24, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Ok, I guess I just got my facts mixed up, I knew that DSL is asymetric, but I just switched them, I thought Download speed would be slower. That's what happens when I am cramming all of this information at once into my brain! ;)
    Thanks again NeedKarma, you are my tech support :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

I need to upload a screenshot... how to? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have a query regarding ms word. But I need to upload a screenshot to support my question. How can I do that or is there anyway so that I can post my screenshot. SAI

How do I upload video into YouTube? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a video of a speech that I gave that is on dvd and I want to download it to my computer and then upload it to YouTube, etc. so I can share it online but I can't figure it out for some reason. Any advice or help would be great!

What's the diff between diaelectric test and insulation test [ 1 Answers ]

I am puzzled, What exactly is the difference between diaelectric test and insulation test. Some says it the same, but others says it's because one applied power to perform the test the latter don't. And some says both are using power but one is using AC power and the other using Dc power. There...

PHP File upload and Perl [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I am using a perl script to access the webpages designed in PHP. I donot know how to automate the file upload part of the site. Can anyone help me. FYI:I am using WWW::Mechanize module of perl Thanks, Novice_perl

View more questions Search