Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Low-Rider 1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Harassed by a Police Officer or Not?
    Hi, I was wondering what should I do if I am being harassed by a police officer? Well let me tell you my situation. It all started when I bought a chevy pickup that is currently a lowrider. The pickup came with dark tinted windows when bought it, directly from a chevy dealer. One day I was going to go and get an iced coffee and the cop that I am being harassed by was eating inside of a restaurant and he saw me driving my low rider (I'm the only one that has a low rider like that) and he actually stopped eating, came out and looked for me around town (only 2000 people live in this town) in the cop car and he was on the opposite side of the street, he just saw me and he did a U-turn and pulled me over. Once he got out of his car walked up to mine and he didn't even ask me for my driver's license or my insurance... for all we know my vehicle could have been uninsured. Once he old me that my tint was to dark I repeated for the 2nd time that "I had bought the pickup like this and the tint can't be removed" I had also told him that the Sheriff and the State Trooper said that the tint was fine and the police officer said "Yeah well I'm the one who is going to give you the ticket, not the sherriff or who ever" and once he was done he did another U-Turn and went back to the restaurant and finished eating and this police officer also uses excuses like "Oh I saw you playing loud music last week" P.S. he wasn't on patrol so why does he use excuses that are 1-2 weeks old? So far me and this other hispanic are the only ones that are being harassed. And NO OFFENSE I have a lot of American friends and they have never been pulled over for their tint or for their loud sound systems... Please help me!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Well to be honest, just because you bought it from the dealer does not make the tint legal, It is only legal if after being tested on a tint meter it either passes or fails the state law on it and/or it either passes local laws on tint.

So buying it like that is not a defense to a tint issue, you actually need to have it tested, and carry a copy of that test with you in the vechile.

But you don't break any law and there is nothing they can do. So police do get it in for some people they believe are breaking the law or skirting the line of the law.

You can go talk to the chilf about this behavior
    Low-Rider 1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    well to be honest, just because you bought it from the dealer does not make the tint legal, It is only legal if after being tested on a tint meter it either passes or fails the state law on it and/or it either passes local laws on tint.

So buying it like that is not a defense to a tint issue, you actually need to have it tested, and carry a copy of that test with you in the vechile.

But you don't break any law and there is nothing they can do. So police do get it in for some people they beleive are breaking the law or skirting the line of the law.

You can go talk to the chilf about this behavior

K what if it's the Chief that is doing this?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Then talk to the sheriff and the state trooper and any of his superiors.

Fr_Chuck is right. The law and what you can buy are two separate things.
    In my state and county fireworks are illegal, tint over 80% is illegal, wheel cover spinner -illegal, decorative exterior car lights -illegal. BUT they are all legal to sell here.
    You might want to ask a garage if they are legal or not. If your state has state inspections they should be able to tell you.
    PalmettoFinesse Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Your tint is classified as 10% or below when it starts to get illegal in my state, but I do know some people who ride around with limo tint (5%, VERY illegal) and don't get tickets... but it really depends on what the cops attitude toward you is
    I don't know the laws of your state but if the tint is illegal and he feels like giving you a ticket after citing you for it he can. But, its probably not a racist thing man, because I live between to citys that are famous for minitrucks like yours with bags and hydraulics and cops sometimes hate on people with nice trucks, lol... so I agree with Fr_Chuck, go talk to the chief and if this guy is the chief and you feel that he is harassing you beyond his power, talk to a higher source... hope this helps man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be a police officer with a bad conduct discharge ? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm currently awaiting for my dd 214, I got a bad conduct discharge and I was wondering if I could still become a police officer in las vegas,nv ?

Can you become a police officer in Michigan with a expunged felony? [ 17 Answers ]

Can you become a police officer in Michigan with a expunged felony

Becoming a police officer [ 3 Answers ]

I want to become a police officer in New York city, but I'm from ireland, what can I do?? Please answer :) :)

Criminal charges that were hyped by a sworn police officer [ 3 Answers ]

I have been cgarged with felony assault/dang.weapon or substance,manufac/poss/deliver sch 11,possession of marijunana-sub offense,resisting legal or illlegal arrest.on 7/13/06 cameras of stop%shop were active and recorded the whole incident,the attorney generals office in providence,ri keeps...

View more questions Search