Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckcat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Is teaching dance a fruitful career?
    Want to teach dance but I don't want to be scrapping for money for the rest of my life. Thoughts?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Lots will depend on where and if you own the studio or merely teach at one. Locally here in Atlatna, many dance studio are more part time or combined with music lessons. So it will depend on how many students, and the cost of overhead to teach them.

You figure it, if you have 100 students and change 100 dollar a month per student, then take out your taxes, your studio cost, advertising cost and more.

So it can be great, or it can be something great to do after you get off work from your regular full time job
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Excellent answer by Fr_Chuck, above!

Just down the street from me, there is a married couple who live in and own a duplex. One half of the duplex is used as a dance studio where the wife teaches. To my knowledge, it is quite successful as it has been operating for a number of years now. Whether it's full or part-time, I'm not sure.

As already mentioned, it does depend on where a studio might be located and whether you will be teaching in a studio that also has other types of activities going on in order to maintain the studio. It also depends on the qualifications that a person has to teach dance.

What are your qualifications and where would you like to teach, please?
    aprilbry Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 08:17 PM

Hi,

I am a full time dance/drama teacher in a high school I make the same wage as any other teacher and for the majority thoroughly enjoy the job
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Dec 1, 2008, 11:36 PM

I'm not sure what type of dance you enjoy but JAZZERCISE is very popular. It doesn't take much to get certified. Check out JAZZERCISE.COM There are many opportunities and you don't have to own a studio. You can just see how you do first. Good luck and best wishes!
    jazmine16 Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2008, 06:47 AM

To tell you the truth it is hard to earn big when you teach any kind of dancing. Only few become very successful in it but no one can compare the joy of teaching when you really have the passion for it. When you see your student become successful is an accompishment! If u really have the passion for it. Just go for it. You can always teach in more than one class/school. :)
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Mar 14, 2009, 05:20 PM

You don't want to be scapping for money as a dance teacher. First of all, if you are a trained dancer and a good teacher of dance technique with a background in professional dance, there should be no problem to find students who will stay with you. But I don't need to tell you that not just anybody can be a dance teacher. There are already too many so called dance teachers who are unqualified and do much harm to unsuspecting students. Get qualified first so you will have a full understanding of what you are teaching.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching tips for contemporary dance [ 4 Answers ]

I've been teaching dance over the summer and my dance teacher recently asked me to teach the group of 9-11 year old girls I have some contemporary dance. I have taken it before but I can't seem to teach them anything easy or fun enough in class. If anyone has any ideas on what would entertain...

Finding the right career from my teaching degree [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this and really need some advice and information. I graduated from a four year honours degree in Social Development Studies (courses, psych,soc, and social studies) and am currently attending teachers college (primary/junior).However, I have come to realize that being a full-time...

Dance Studios - more empahsis on dance or business [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding dance studios. I would like a sincere answer from someone who either owns or knows someone well who does own their own dance studio. It has been my experience that studios will put more emphasis on business rather than dance. The reason for this is I have seen good...

Teaching private dance lessons [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! After 18 yrs in business, I'm having to close due to back problems. However, I'd like to teach a few kids, the drive to my home is too far for them. Have a friend who is letting me borrow a space in his building. This would not be for advertisement, and kids have been w/me for years. I've...

View more questions Search